Error saving config to NVRAM

Shawn Lebbon
Level 1
Level 1

When I try to save my running config to NVRAM I get the following output:

#copy run start

Destination filename [startup-config]?

Building configuration...

% Warning: Saving this config to nvram may corrupt any network management or security files stored at the end of nvram.

Continue? [no]:

Answering no, and it pauses for a bit then returns:

% Configuration buffer full, can't add command: !

%Aborting Save. Compress the config.[OK]

Answering yes, and it saves off just fine.

I'm now seeing this on two of my 1721 routers with IOS 12.3(9b)

This error happens every time now, even after they've been rebooted, etc.

There is 32KB NVRAM in the routers, and the config(s) are no larger than 6526 bytes...

I could only find one reference to this error on google, and it was pointing to a bug that was fixed back in IOS 12.1.something!

Any ideas???

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jason.aarons
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running flash:c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.123-9b.bin on a 1720 with 16MB Flash and 48MB DRAM and have not encountered this.

Sounds like a TAC case should be opened.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jason.aarons
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running flash:c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.123-9b.bin on a 1720 with 16MB Flash and 48MB DRAM and have not encountered this.

Sounds like a TAC case should be opened.

Shawn Lebbon
Level 1
Level 1

PROBLEM FIXED.

TAC support said they'd seen this before, but didn't know why it happens. Enabling 'service compress-config' fixes this erronious error. Even though 'show file system' shows NVRAM has 21000+ bytes free; the 'compressed' config of 3214 bytes fits fine, while the 6526 byte config didn't... Lets just hope that as the config grows (even compressed) beyond 6K, that this error doesn't come back!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: