Views
Helpful
Replies

Extra interfaces on SNMP

ARPhillips
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have something that I haven't seen before and can't figure out.

We have recently built a new Zabbix template to show if the interfaces descriptions are correct for our environment. In doing so we are getting alarms for interfaces on Cisco boxes that don't exist.

For example I have a 1921/K9 running Version 15.0(1r)M16 which on an SNMPwalk shows interfaces gi0/0, gi0/1 and gi0/2. However the box doesn't have a gi0/2! It has got an expansion card (0/0/0 - 3) which is polling correctly.

The output of the SNMPwalk is;

[user@name ~]# snmpwalk -v 2c -c "community" "IP address" 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2

IF-MIB::ifDescr.1 = STRING: Embedded-Service-Engine0/0

IF-MIB::ifDescr.2 = STRING: GigabitEthernet0/0

IF-MIB::ifDescr.3 = STRING: GigabitEthernet0/1

IF-MIB::ifDescr.4 = STRING: GigabitEthernet0/2 <------------- The box doesn't have this interface.

Has anyone seen this before? I can't see anything online about it, my first thought is that it's a bug in iOS as only a few devices are doing it and all the other vendors we have in the network are fine.

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

its cosmetic bug, some time the universal image meant for all the platform. some platform has more ports.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Ok, would you know how to remove them from being polled by SNMP? 

I have tried using the config;

snmp-server view NAME ifDescr.4 excluded

I used ifName.4 and ifAlias.4 as well, though the interface is still being polled. 

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure what NMS is this, any NMS generally disable that interface not to poll that is..snmpwalk is a wider walk with all the options.

but NMS give more ability any GUI have that option to disable that interface or remove from polling.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card