cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Gateway for VLAN

jai.s401
Level 1
Level 1

1. If I create different VLANs for different Departments in a switch, should I create INTERFACE VLAN  for every VLAN created or can I simply Route that segment of IPs to a Core switch for Internet.

2.If I enable IP routing in a switch, can I write Block specific VLANs from communicating (Lets say I create VLAN1, 2,3,4,5 I want to prevent vlan 2 & vlan3 from communicating and allow all other inter_vlan communication)

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
1. If I create different VLANs for different Departments in a switch, should I create INTERFACE VLAN  for every VLAN created or can I simply Route that segment of IPs to a Core switch for Internet.

You need to have respected SVI Layer 3 interface each VLAN and it should be routing aware to reach each other.

to reach the internet if the IP is not public routable address, then you need NAT

2.If I enable IP routing in a switch, can I write Block specific VLANs from communicating (Lets say I create VLAN1, 2,3,4,5 I want to prevent vlan 2 & vlan3 from communicating and allow all other inter_vlan communication)

you can use ACL or VLAN ACL to achieve this.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card