Helpful
Replies

GLBP 2 router 2 L3 switch

Balam3897
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

FYI

That's my first question in the Cisco community.

As you can see in my schema, i m trying to make a GLBP cluster with 2 router (Cisco 2911). --> R1/R2

In internet i can only find configuration with 2 router with each one using 1 interface.

Could you please explain to me how can i configure GLBP with 4 interfaces because interfaces on R1 or R2 cannot be in the same network. (Or maybe put 2 interfaces in a vlan ?)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Balam

Capture.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what is the reason to have 4 Interfaces ?

if you looking more resilience purpose, build port-channel between R1 and Switch1 and R2 and Switch2

how is your traffic flow  outside to inside or inside to outside ? or both the ways you looking HSRP/FSRP / GLBP ? please explain more to understand the requirement.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what is the reason to have 4 Interfaces ?

if you looking more resilience purpose, build port-channel between R1 and Switch1 and R2 and Switch2

how is your traffic flow  outside to inside or inside to outside ? or both the ways you looking HSRP/FSRP / GLBP ? please explain more to understand the requirement.

BB

Hello BB!

I didnt think of portchannel as you said. I don't know if you can have 1 VIP with the 2 interfaces in the portchannel. It would close my problem. Can you explain?

To explain more to you, I have to do a Core Network Redundancy L2-L3 with load balancing on DualWAN. That's the topology i choose but the topology can be changed.

I have chosen L2 redudancy with Rapid PVST+ and load balancing with GLBP cause i think HSRP and VRRP can t do load balancing. Can you confirm?

The traffic flow is only inside to outside and response.

FYI i m currently learning the CCNA.

Regards,

Balam

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @Balam3897 ,

in addition to the useful notes by BB I would like to point out the following point:

GLBP protocol is well suited for end user VLANs, because it works by answering to ARP requests for the VIP address with different MAC addresses over time.

If the core switches are layer3 devices and the true end users are behind them you should use a routing protocol like OSPF between R1,R2 and sw-core1, sw-core2 otherwise you can get unfair distribution.

R1 and R2 could generate a default route in OSPF and you could use two "backbone" Vlans / IP subnets with the core switches using also the cross links.

GLBP is useful near the end users not on VLANs where only network devices are connected.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@Balam3897 

I was thinking of port-channel or BVI, but never tried with GLBP, but in theory should work.

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

Balam3897
Level 1
Level 1

FYI

I change my mind and choose the topology below.

I made a portchannel with 2 interfaces on each router. Add a VIP on each port channel (1.1 and 1.2 for example)

I configured GLBP on the 2 portchannel and it works fine!

Thanks again guysCapture.PNG

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thank you again for sharing the solution and my input work for you.

Note : unfortunatly cisco community has some issue of notification i have raised concern already and they are working it. when you reply we do not get notification - i try to address as much as i can when i see the thread. but some time we miss.

BB