Views
Helpful
Replies

Guidelines for setting up Aironet 3500 Series Access Point

Enrique Soto M
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Could you please provide links with information / guidelines for the initial setup for this Access Point?

Thank you in advance, for your assistance.

Enrique S.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Enrique,

Ummmmm ... I think you need to get a systems integrator or someone who knows wireless.

Firstly, you purchased a controller-based model of a WAP, the 3500.  You need to have a WLC to be able to use the WAP to run Wi-Fi service.  Without a WLC, configuring a 3500 will not be easy and, chance are, if you run into trouble, Cisco TAC will be unable to provide you with any assistance.

NOTE:  To everyone else reading this post, I know there's an autonomous IOS for the 3500 but it is primary used for WIRELESS SITE SURVEY, which is NOT Enrique's intention.

I don't know what your office's layout, size, structure is and you will need to get someone to run a wireless site survey so you will know WHERE to put your WAP and HOW MANY WAPs do you need. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Could you please provide links with information / guidelines for the initial setup for this Access Point?

As autonomous or as controller-based?

What are you trying to do?

Do you have a WLC with firmware running 7.0.X?

Specific Model is CAP3502E-A-K9.

I want to set up a reliable, Wireless Network with this device capabilities. Want to know the best suggested location (inside / outside an office, between the separate offices,..) to place the AP so that Wireless Network is as much available inside office and users in nearby offices as possible. I only have other Cisco device. It´s a Catalyst 2960 Series SI already configured (not by me) to serve as the main Switch of both separate offices.

I only have had experience using Cisco software to manage an ASA5505.

Thanks again.

Hi Enrique,

Ummmmm ... I think you need to get a systems integrator or someone who knows wireless.

Firstly, you purchased a controller-based model of a WAP, the 3500.  You need to have a WLC to be able to use the WAP to run Wi-Fi service.  Without a WLC, configuring a 3500 will not be easy and, chance are, if you run into trouble, Cisco TAC will be unable to provide you with any assistance.

NOTE:  To everyone else reading this post, I know there's an autonomous IOS for the 3500 but it is primary used for WIRELESS SITE SURVEY, which is NOT Enrique's intention.

I don't know what your office's layout, size, structure is and you will need to get someone to run a wireless site survey so you will know WHERE to put your WAP and HOW MANY WAPs do you need. 

Thank you. And I apologize for being this novice. I know these forums are for getting help.

I just got the device earlier today. Inside the sealed box there was just the Access Point. No power adapter. Even though there is a connection for this.

Is this device intended to be used with POE? Or might the adapter be missing?

Is this device intended to be used with POE?

That is correct.

And I apologize for being this novice. I know these forums are for getting help.

It's OK for being a novice (no apologies needed) but you are about to get into a world-of-pain as wireless ain't just as easy as get-a-WAP-stick-it-there-and-presto-it-works.

You either get it done right or you don't.  Configuration is the easy part.  It's where you put the WAP and how many WAPs that's going to require assistance.

I appreciate your help.

If the configuration is the easy part. And if I don´t have access to a WLC.

Would my only option be the vWLC? As described in: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12723/products_tech_note09186a0080bd2d04.shtml#prereq ?

The setup seems not that easy. But I will do my best. Will a customized HP image like this http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/software/vmware/esxi-image.html  help? I have 2 HP Proliant servers. Don´t know if that HP-ready drivers will help with the setup of the vWLC. And after that with the Aironet setup.

I have requested assistance from the reseller of this device. They have Cisco devices too and said they can enable it for the Wireless Network.

For starters we considered just one office Wireless service while the best final location for the AP is determined.

Will keep you posted on how this develops. And yes. It´s complex but interesting.

Would my only option be the vWLC?     

Depends on how many WAPs are you planning to install and your budget.

Personally, I'd go for a WLC-5508 but you can use a smaller WLC2504.  Be informed that there are just some things a 2504 will not support that a 5508 can.

Sorry, I am not a user of HP products.

vWLC?  Unless you have >1000 WAPs, will be quiet expensive.  Plus vWLC will not "go into" a simple HP server and requires a full-blown ESX/ESXi.

It´s complex but interesting.

Wireless is complex, hence, you need to get the site survey done right or you'll be in forever world of pain.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: