cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help Understanding Firepower NGFW

albalynga48
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I am pretty new to IT (level 1) so please excuse my lack of expertise. I welcome your input and suggestions .

I got the opportunity to play around with a brand new Cisco Firepower 1120. It is a same model replacement for a failed one (power supply). The previous one ran ASA 9.13 and was managed through ASDM. The new one apparently is managed through FDM and has no ASA OS. I prefer ASA managed with ASDM. In the interest of installing it, I registered it with Cisco Smart Licensing. Now I'm stuck.

Why is the new, same model, firewall different? Old one was purchased just last year.

Is it a mistake that they have different management interfaces? Am I stuck with the new featureful interface?

If intentional, is it possible to install ASA 9.13 or the newer 9.15? How do I do it? suggested commands, that I found around, are not permitted.

What is this USB device I received with the firewall? its the same size as a Firestick. Computers don't detect it. the firewall also doesn't seem to detect it when plugged in.

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ok, i was not sure what happened, if the ASA failed the device you got a replacement of FTD? (then you are lucky to get one like that)

Let me give small information :

In a few year's time ASA will be faded from the market, only NGFW ( Firepower is the future of Cisco) - it has ASA + NGFW Features.

Firepower needs FDM (like ASDM to manage the device - for better feature explore you need FMC).

If you like your intention to  ASA on this Firepower 1K device you can re-image with ASA code and use ASDM to manage. here are the steps :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/quick_start/reimage/asa-ftd-reimage.html#id_57089

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help