Views
Helpful
Replies

how can LMS 4.0 discovery IP Phones?

dverasteguin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!!

I have 2 Cisco IP Phones 7975 connected to a Swith 3750 which is connected to a Router 2811.

The phones are registered into the CME in the router. When i do a Discovery Search the LMS finds both the router and the switch but it doesnt find the IP Phones, not even their mac or ip addreses to show them as unreachable. it just doesnt find them. i dont know why and whats wrong.

im using windows server 2008 r2 LMS 4.0.1.

please i would appriciate any help on this matter

thanks in advance

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You need to update your MDF version as well.  Go to Common Services > Software Center > Device Update and check the box next to Common Services.  Download and install the MDF update.  If you find that no updates are available, read https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-16806 .

View solution in original post

Phones will not be seen under inventory or topology.  They will only be seen in User Tracking.  You will see them as regular end hosts (i.e. like PCs) and as IP phones (i.e. you will see the phone number and associated username).

This is done automatically provided the CUCM has been properly data collected and the phones are associated to the CUCM.  From the screenshot above, the CUCM appears to be properly data collected.  Perform an SNMP Walk of the ccmPhoneTable on the CUCM to confirm you see entries for each of the IP phones showing up as end hosts.

19 Replies 19

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

CME is not a supported Call Manager device for obtaining IP phone information.  You need a CUCM to provide these details.

Hi joseph!

Thanks for your repply. I'll try and set ccum up and see if it works!

Sincerely,

Dante

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Joseph,

I installed a CUCM 8.5 connected to a switch with a IP Phone 7975 which is Registered at the Call Manager.

However when i do a discovery search (with snmp enabled) i can find both the SW and the CM and i find the IP Phone as and End Host and not an IP Phone. It doesnt give me any details about it. just its mac address, not even its IP.

Is there a way it can be showed as an IP Phone and at least show more details??

Ill be looking forward for your repply,

Sincerely,

Dante Verastegui

What is the sysObjectID of the CUCM?  How does the CUCM show up on the Topology Map?

Joseph,

When i try and see the CUCM on the topology map, theres an error showing that the device is not supported by Topology and Layer 2 Services.

I have installed the CUCM in a VMWare.

I can see it under inventory it shows me in the pie chart that is part of the Voice and Telephony category and when i access to it, it shows me the specifications of the VMWare hardware configuration.

How can i find the sysObjectID of the CUCM?

Sincerely,

Dante

This is what I thought.  If the CUCM is on VMware, then the sysObjectID is not recognized by Campus Manager.  You will need the latest device package update for LMS 4.0.1 to get support for this CUCM.  The device update can be downloaded from http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=283434800&flowid=19062&softwareid=283418819&release=Topology_401(2.0)&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest .

Joseph,

Thanks! I just download it.

I extracted the files and now, where should i copy them? They have XML extension so i cant really "install" them.

Also it the files are named with CM 6.0.1. It was the latest Topology patch. That means it will work with CUCM 8.5 too right?

Ill be looking forward for your repply.

Sincerely,

Dante Verastegui

You install them through the LMS Software Center:

Admin > System > Software Center > Device Update

You should not extract the zip.  Point the Device Update job to the directory that contains the zip file.  It will do the rest.

Hi Joseph,

Sorry to get back to you after a long time!!! I didnt have time to try the patch you told me to install into the LMS, i was doing some other projects.

However, now that im back to the LMS with the CCUM. i tried updating the Topology patch however a new Error came up.

ERROR: Error while installing (NetworkTopologyDeviceUpdates): C:psu_downloadNetworkTopologyDeviceUpdates.LMS401.v2-0.zip cannot be installed because, the current mdf version:1.47 is LESS THAN the minimum required mdf version: 1.52

what does this mean?? what should i do now??

please id like to hear from you!!!

thank you!!

sincerely!

Dante Verastegui

You need to update your MDF version as well.  Go to Common Services > Software Center > Device Update and check the box next to Common Services.  Download and install the MDF update.  If you find that no updates are available, read https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-16806 .

Joseph,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Indeed, i did that. i downloaded the newest mdf file which is version 1.54

also, i downloaded the new patch for topology network which is version 4.0

i installed both of them and no error was reported. however, i still cant see the Call Manager in the Topology Network. And i still get the info about the VMWare Machine and not the Call Manager itself.

is it ok that i installed the version 4.0? or i should have installed the v2.0 as you suggested?

Ill be looking forward to your repply!

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Dante Verastegui

I don't understand what you mean by VMWare Machine as opposed to the Call Manager.  Version 4.0 should be fine.  The patches are cumulative.  After applying it, you will need to run a new Topology Data Collection so Topology can learn the CUCM specific attributes.  After that, the CUCM should show up either on the Layer 2 View or the Unconnected Devices view as a CCM Host.

Joseph!

Thanks for getting back to me.

Im attaching some screenshots of what i have now.

The Call Manager is finally being shown in the Topology Map. However, what i meant was, that when i go into Hardware Report it shows me the Server where i have the Call Manager on, specs. and not any specs of the Call Manager itself. is this correct?

also, if i have IP Phones registered to the Call Manager, how can i find them? should i do a Inventory Discovery or a User Tracking Acquisition?

Ill be looking forward to your repply

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Dante Verastegui

The patches you have installed do not add inventory support for the CUCM running on VMware.  They only allow User Tracking to work.  There is no special inventory support for the VMware CUCM yet.  However, to get your IP phones recognized as IP phones, you will just need to run a new UT acquisition.