Views
Helpful
Replies

How exactly does RME backup configs -

getwithrob
Level 3
Level 3

When a device is added to RME:

a copy of the startup config is stored and a copy of the running config is stored. Depending on the schedule that's configured, RME goes out and pulls the startup and running from a device based on that schedule then compares it to the startup and running stored on the server, if there's a difference it updates the config, if there is no difference it discards the startup and running config that was just pulled in to compare.

Is this how it works or does it work someother way?

4 Replies 4

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

That is the way it works. Also, if you have the "Listen to Syslog" enabled (under RME -> Admin -> Config Management somewhere), then RME will capture the config every time it receive a CONF* syslog message.

Let me make sure I understand.

The full startup and running configs are pulled down for each device to the server each day and compared to the configs stored on the server then discarded if there are no differences and updated if there are differences?

By default I believe it is every week. There are two

different methods. One of them (I believe it is SNMP poller) acually checks some MIB objects (ccmHistoryRunningLastChanged if I am not mistaken) and sees if the config has indeed changed since the last succesful archive. If it has changed, then it wil download the config. This method minimizes the traffic on the newtork.

The second method is the one that actually captures the whole config regardless, compares it to the one in the archive and throws it away if ther was no change.

Is there a technical document somewhere that describes this in detail?