cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how many WS-X6704-10GE can 6500 support

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

I currently have a WS-C6509 with one WS-X6704-10GE , I was wondering if i can buy and insert a second one? or is there somekind of limit on the 6500 especially the module being 10G?

show module
Mod Ports Card Type Model Serial No.
--- ----- -------------------------------------- ------------------ -----------
1 16 SFM-capable 16 port 1000mb GBIC WS-X6516A-GBIC 
5 2 Supervisor Engine 720 (Active) WS-SUP720-BASE 
6 4 CEF720 4 port 10-Gigabit Ethernet WS-X6704-10GE 
7 48 SFM-capable 48 port 10/100/1000mb RJ45 WS-X6548-GE-TX 
9 24 CEF720 24 port 1000mb SFP WS-X6724-SFP 

system power available = 1298.64 Watts (30.92 Amps @ 42V)

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

check below as per datasheet

balajibandi_0-1673175130285.png

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is fine.  

Can be used any any non-supervisor engine slot.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As I remember - I installed 2 cards in Cat 6509-E - which was ok.

Bare in mind 6500 EOL - do not have any cisco support (directly)

if you get a chance worth upgrading to Sup-2T (if you looking to run these chassis for some more days) - you can plenty be refurbished in the market at a peanut price.

The power supply ok for an additional card.

if you going the Sup2T route, then changing the PSU to 4K Dual will be good

BB

I can insert it in any slot? or there is some specific slots?

- Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/product_data_sheet09186a00801dce34.html . check Table 1 and look for Slot Requirements

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

check below as per datasheet

balajibandi_0-1673175130285.png

BB

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is fine.  

Can be used any any non-supervisor engine slot.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"how many WS-X6704-10GE can 6500 support"

"or is there somekind of limit on the 6500 especially the module being 10G?"

No limit beyond what slots can be used for those cards and limits set by power supplies being used (and their usage mode).  The power question, is likely the major question that needs to be answered.

Don't know if Cisco still offers it, but they used to have a tool on their web site where you could "build" a 6500, with various cards and power supplies and determine if power requirements would be met.

In your case, you show almost 1300 Watts being available.  There should be another power command to indicate current card draw.  Seeing what your existing 6504 card is using now would give you a good idea whether you have sufficient power for another 6504.

BTW, in theory, with two 6504 cards, you'll likely exceed the sup's PPS capacity.  In practice, this may not be a problem, much depends on just how "busy" all your ports will be concurrently.

If you do overrun the PPS capacity of the sup, I recall (?) your 67xx cards might all accept DFCs.  (BTW, DFCs can be pricy.)

"Fortunately" all your installed cards are fabric capable, but I recall (?) one or both of your 65xx cards are classis bus and CEF256 (NB: your 6700 cards are CEF720).  I further recall (?) that with any classic bus capable cards in the chassis, the 6500 will use that bus first (if available) for the card.  I recall (?) there's a configuration command to prefer the CEF256 connection.  If so, with your installed cards, you would want to prefer using the fabric connection.  (I also recall [?], when using fabric only connections, effectively the sup's PPS rate doubles.)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card