cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to find Cisco SF-300 24PP on network

Ted Daniels
Level 1
Level 1

I have 8 Cisco SF-300 24PP switches on our network, but have no IP addresses for them as they were installed before my time. I have tried using FindIt, but it finds nothing. All the switches are working, but I need to inventory them and manage them. So my question is: How do I find them on my network

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We do not know much about your environment and that makes it difficult to give good advice. I would think a starting point would be to use show cdp neighbor to find them (assuming that there is some Cisco gear that you have access to).

HTH

Rick

Where would I find Show CDP?

I have found one device after a couple of hours

They just don't show up on IP scan

Ted Daniels

show cdp neighbor is done at the command prompt (could be in the console connection or in telnet or ssh connection.

We do not know much about your environment but assuming that there is some device that acts as the core for your network that would be the place to start. show cdp neighbor generally shows neighbors that are one hop away. So if show cdp neighbor shows a neighbor then you would need to access that device and use show cdp neighbor on that device to find other neighbors. Keep working one hop at a time until you get to a device that shows no cdp neighbors.

There are scenarios where show cdp neighbor might not find all of the Cisco devices. But let's not worry about that possibility for now. Try the show cdp neighbor and let us know what you find.

HTH

Rick

Thanks very much. Finally figured it out regarding CDP Neighbors and the one hop away. Sometimes difficult to ID with neighbor belongs to which IP address, but worked thru a process of elimination and got them all sorted.

Ted Daniels

Thanks for the update. Glad to know that you have got them all sorted. 

HTH

Rick

Yes, thanks for help. I am writing a hierarchical software app to display all our network items from routers and switches to printers and scanners, and everything in between using as a basis some family tree software I wrote a couple of years ago that references the appropriate SQL database. The idea is to simplify my network management and at the same time keep track of assets as they move around. Just got the initial part working and its great!

Apps like Solar Winds or PRTG etc only do part of the job, but I use their output as a subset of the data I store in my database.

Ted Daniels