cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I know nothing about networking but have to add a switch and subnet - Cisco 2821

alexoncisco
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cisco 2821 V/K9 Router.  We are having security cameras installed in our building that are connected to a Green net Trendent PoE+ Switch TPE-T80H.  I have been told to get those cameras connected to our network using subnet 25 - those are my instructions.  I think I first have to connect the switch to our network, correct?  How in the world do I do that????  Even if that isn't the first step, I'm assuming it will have to be done at some point.  PLEASE Help!

3 Replies 3

t.marksteiner1
Level 1
Level 1

This will be a difficult task if you don't know anything about networking. Perhaps it is helpful to read some basic information.

My knowledge about networks is also limited, but i will tell you what i would do.

i assume, that subnet 25 means subnet 255.255.255.64, because the first 25 bits represent the part of the ip for network address. for example 192.168.1.64, so first client ip would be 192.168.1.65

The cameras will be use static ip addresses (only my assumption), so you don't need a dhcp.

What roles should play the router and switch? Are the cameras connected to switch or directly router?

That are some basic points, but there are more (eg. who gets access to the cameras)

i hope i can help you little bit.

Cameras are IP based (thus the reason for the .25 subnet I assume) and the model is Watchnet.  The cameras connect to a Trendent PoE+ switch TPE-T80H.  I believe I have to connect that switch to the 2821 using the subnet.  I'm assuming I plug the switch into a port, can it be a regular LAN port such as those our PCs are plugged into?    So I have to know how to get into the 2821, look at the current configuration and then change the configuration as appropriate.  I'm assuming the .25 subnet would be 192.168.25.0.

alexoncisco
Level 1
Level 1

It ended up being as easy as plugging the new switch into the X4 port on the 2821.