Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing Prime Infrastructure

Joris Deprouw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a question about the installation of prime infrastructure.

We have ordered prime infrastructure 1.1, after ordering we received 3 PAK codes. The goal is to install the LMS 4.2.                  

- L-PILMS42-100 Prime Infrastructure LMS 4.2 - 100 Device Base Lic

- L-PINCS11-100 Prime Infrastructure NCS 1.1 - 100 Device Base Lic

- L-PINCSW11-100 Prime Infrastructure NCS WAN 1.1 - 100 Device Base Lic

If I'm not mistaken, we can install all 3 applications, but not on the same machine? Is that correct? And how do you choose to install LMS or NCS?

When deploying the OVA file? Where can you choose to use LMS or NCS?

Or is it the same OVA file for each application and does it unlock features depending on which license file you enter in the web interface?

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Joris

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Yes, its the same.

And yes, you can use that license, you need a LIC file which you can get from http://www.cisco.com/go/license

View solution in original post

Prime Infrastructure NCS 1.1 dropped the NCS name when they moved to version 1.2 (and now at 1.3). That's the second item in your original post. The 1.1 license will still be good when you upgrade to 1.3. In fact, if it's a brand new installation, you might as well start with 1.3. You can download the image from www.cisco.com/go/nmsevals and apply your 1.1 license.

Prime LMS as noted above uses its own separate license and runs on its own separate server / VM.

There's no proper product name "Prime Infrastructure LMS" though some docs may mistakenly call it that. "Cisco Prime" is the new sweeping name for a set of complimentary products developed around a loosely common architecture and look and feel. It includes Prime Infrastructure (PI), Prime LMS, Prime Security Manager (PRSM), etc.

Prime Infrastructure NCS WAN 1.1 was a one timeproduct release designed for custoemrs with some specific needs for wired infrastructure management and without having LMS. It wil not be developed further and if you have LMS there's no need to install and operate the PI NCS WAN product.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

cwallin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, the short answer is that you cant run multiple applications on the same server and that it's different OVA images.

For example, to find LMS 4.2 OVA images, browse to cisco.com and:

Downloads Home -> Products Cloud and Systems Management -> Routing and Switching Management -> Cisco Prime LAN Management Solution -> Cisco Prime LAN Management Solution 4.2 -> LMS Software - Linux

Then change from the default 4.2.3 to 4.2 in the drop down on the left and finally download the approriate images.

Hi,

So I would be installing Prime LMS instead of Prime infrastructure LMS? or is this the same?

If I want to install Prime LMS 4.2 can I use the license I have received?

"L-PILMS42-100 Prime Infrastructure LMS 4.2 - 100 Device Base Lic"

Thanks,

Joris

Yes, its the same.

And yes, you can use that license, you need a LIC file which you can get from http://www.cisco.com/go/license

Ok Thanks,

The license file I have already generated on the cisco website.

When I want to install the prime infrastructure, which license do I use then? Any of the 3 above? Or the NCS.

Thanks,

Joris

Prime Infrastructure NCS 1.1 dropped the NCS name when they moved to version 1.2 (and now at 1.3). That's the second item in your original post. The 1.1 license will still be good when you upgrade to 1.3. In fact, if it's a brand new installation, you might as well start with 1.3. You can download the image from www.cisco.com/go/nmsevals and apply your 1.1 license.

Prime LMS as noted above uses its own separate license and runs on its own separate server / VM.

There's no proper product name "Prime Infrastructure LMS" though some docs may mistakenly call it that. "Cisco Prime" is the new sweeping name for a set of complimentary products developed around a loosely common architecture and look and feel. It includes Prime Infrastructure (PI), Prime LMS, Prime Security Manager (PRSM), etc.

Prime Infrastructure NCS WAN 1.1 was a one timeproduct release designed for custoemrs with some specific needs for wired infrastructure management and without having LMS. It wil not be developed further and if you have LMS there's no need to install and operate the PI NCS WAN product.

Hello Marvin,

Thank you, now it's clear to me.

Or you install prime infra 1.3 with the NCS license and with (at this moment) limited LMS functionalities in it.

Or you install prime LMS with the LMS license, with the LMS funtionalities like before (4.0, 4.1), but without wireless functionalities.

Both have their own OVA files to install and have to be installed on a separate server.

Is that correct?

Thanks,

Joris

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes. That's correct.

Please rate responses according to their helpfulness and mark your question as answered if it has been.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: