cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interfaces send netflow data despite no flow config under interface

richardbergen
Level 1
Level 1

Just curious if anyone else has seen this behaviour?

Cisco 2951 w/ HWIC-4ESW

IOS 15.0(1)M5

#sh ip flow int

Vlan533

ip flow ingress

ip flow egress

#

The SVI sends the flow data just fine, however I also continue to receive flow data from most other interfaces.

I have attached a screenshot of one of our netflow collectors indicating that many of the interfaces are sending flow data even though not configured to do so. We have two different netflow collectors, from different vendors and both confirm the same interfaces sending flow data.

Normally I wouldn't care and ignore it, however one of them uses a license limit by interface and is a bit problematic.

Any input would be appreciated!

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Don Jacob
Level 1
Level 1

I guess the reason is NetFlow's ability to include information about the sender/receiving interface.

Say, you enable NetFlow Ingress on vlan533. This means IN traffic for vlan 533 is accounted for. This traffic flow will also have information about the interface through which packets are exiting the device. Thus the exit interface is also seen.

The same with NetFlow Egress. NetFlow Egress on vlan533 has information about all traffic exiting the vlan533. This traffic flow also has information on the interface through which traffic came into the device before exiting vlan 533.

So, in your scenario, if all the other interfaces either send traffic to vlan 533 or receive traffic from vlan 533, information about them will be present in the NetFlow cache and the NetFlow reporting tool will also detect and report on them which is why you see interfaces not enabled with NetFlow.

We have an interface based license option with ManageEngine NetFlow Analyzer and so have provided options to unmanage the interfaces about which you do not need reports for. I guess something similar might be available in your tool, using which you can unmanage interfaces you do not need reports for and thus save licensing.

Regards,

Don Thomas Jacob

ManageEngine NetFlow Analyzer

Regards, Don Thomas Jacob http://www.solarwinds.com/netflow-traffic-analyzer.aspx Head Geek @ SolarWinds NOTE: Please rate and close questions if you found any of the answers helpful.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Don Jacob
Level 1
Level 1

I guess the reason is NetFlow's ability to include information about the sender/receiving interface.

Say, you enable NetFlow Ingress on vlan533. This means IN traffic for vlan 533 is accounted for. This traffic flow will also have information about the interface through which packets are exiting the device. Thus the exit interface is also seen.

The same with NetFlow Egress. NetFlow Egress on vlan533 has information about all traffic exiting the vlan533. This traffic flow also has information on the interface through which traffic came into the device before exiting vlan 533.

So, in your scenario, if all the other interfaces either send traffic to vlan 533 or receive traffic from vlan 533, information about them will be present in the NetFlow cache and the NetFlow reporting tool will also detect and report on them which is why you see interfaces not enabled with NetFlow.

We have an interface based license option with ManageEngine NetFlow Analyzer and so have provided options to unmanage the interfaces about which you do not need reports for. I guess something similar might be available in your tool, using which you can unmanage interfaces you do not need reports for and thus save licensing.

Regards,

Don Thomas Jacob

ManageEngine NetFlow Analyzer

Regards, Don Thomas Jacob http://www.solarwinds.com/netflow-traffic-analyzer.aspx Head Geek @ SolarWinds NOTE: Please rate and close questions if you found any of the answers helpful.

that is exactly right

The show ip cache flow output basically sums it all up. It lists the source / destination interfaces which makes sense why they showed up in the report..