cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS XO vs. E

CBowman02
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I have a Cisco 4507R+E and a 4510R+E that are both running IOS version 3.3.2XO. I am looking to update the IOS and all new versions appear to have E at the end instead of XO. For example, the recommended version is 3.6.5E. What is the difference between the two? Will I lose any functionality?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The "XO" release were a branch IOS release that introduced hardware support for the Sup 8-E.

That branch has since been folded back into a extended maintenance mainline release - 3.6.xE.

You will not lose any functionality as long as you take care to download and install the correct variant of the universal image (crypto, non-crypto or NPE (no payload encryption)).

For most customers (i.e those not in an area that is export-restricted by the USA), the "crypto" image is the correct one - "cat4500es8-universalk9.SPA.03.06.05.E.152-2.E5.bin" (or .tar if you use the web-based device manager).

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The "XO" release were a branch IOS release that introduced hardware support for the Sup 8-E.

That branch has since been folded back into a extended maintenance mainline release - 3.6.xE.

You will not lose any functionality as long as you take care to download and install the correct variant of the universal image (crypto, non-crypto or NPE (no payload encryption)).

For most customers (i.e those not in an area that is export-restricted by the USA), the "crypto" image is the correct one - "cat4500es8-universalk9.SPA.03.06.05.E.152-2.E5.bin" (or .tar if you use the web-based device manager).

Thank you very much!