cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to have an active and standby probe, on different routers

alexneishell
Level 1
Level 1

My network locations typically have two routers, on is primary, but both are active. Both have tunnels out to the network, so in essence the routers are just redundant hardware. 

We build probes across one router, but, in order to keep the number of active probes down, I'm wondering if you can build a standby set of probes, ones that would become active if router 1 probes retuned a failure condition ( and conversely switched back over after the fail condition cleared)

I imagine this is easily accomplished using hsrp, but we are not set up like that. We do use vrrp on the interfaces though. Anyway, has anyone out there tried doing a set up like this?

3 Replies 3

Ashok Kumar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Alex,

no problem with VRRP, same thing can be achieved via "VRRP with Object tracking"

1. Create the IP SLA & Track on both the routers

2.  Use the same Track in VRRP configuration, & set the decrease in priority once the track goes down

SUMMARY STEPS

1.    enable 

2.    configure terminal 

3.    track object-number interface type number {line-protocol | ip routing} 

4.    interface type number 

5.    vrrp group ip ip-address 

6.    vrrp group priority level 

7.    vrrp group track object-number [decrement priority] 

- Ashok

Appreciate the response Ashok. I will try this in our lab Monday when I get in. 

Please rate the helpful post or mark as "correct answer". This will helps others to find out this post, who are looking for solution for the similar problem :)

- Ashok

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: