Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.1 - DFM Issues

Mario Elia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

I'm having a few problems with my setup, some more important than others, but causing troubles for me all the same (I've listed them in priority)

1) Right now I have the default Scheduled rediscovery set in DFM to run weekly. That's all well and good, except that when it runs, less than 10 of my 664 devices get put into the "known" state, while the rest - after 6-8 hrs - get thrown into the "questioned" state. When I try to suspend the schedule, I get an error (see attached: rediscovery_error.jpg, and associated Rediscovery.txt). I have a case open with the TAC right now about this, but it has not been resolved. The only fix I have at the moment is to rebuild the DFM DB, then re-add all the devices, and then I have to unmanage all the interfaces/ips that I'm not using. Seems like an incredible waste of time.

2) When adding a new device to the DFM (automatically pulled when I add it to the DCR) all the existing devices return to their default managed/unmanaged state. Again, at this point, I have to go back and unmanage all the interfaces/ips, etc... (May be related to above, I'm not sure.)

3) My jrm.log file is currently sitting at over 650MB (not KB). This equates to roughly 7.3 million lines of text, where 99% of the lines are "Test Exception is : java.sql.SQLException: JZ0S2: Statement object has already been closed." (see attached: jrm.jpg)

4) I would also like to know if the emails that are sent out by the DFM can be changed - a lot of the information included in them is not relevant to me, and I would like to add the information that is.

I've also attached the output of pdshow and systeminfo, which seems to be the first thing most people are asked for.

I'm running LMS 3.1, with an updated DFM (3.1.3) on Windows 2003 Enterprise.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide that may help.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The solution to problem 3 is easy.  That's known bug CSCsr93277.  TAC has a patch for LMS 3.1, but the recommended fix is to upgrade to LMS 3.2.  It sounds like problems 1 and 2 may be related to CSCsz08953 which is also fixed in LMS 3.2.

As for changing the emails, this really isn't possible.  Only in LMS 3.2 did we add the ability to customize the subject, but the body is fixed.  You can, however, disable the body, and only send the subject.

View solution in original post

No, you cannot upgrade 3.1 to 3.2 piecemeal.  You must do the entire bundle at once.  You can upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2, but I typically recommend one take a backup of 3.1, uninstall 3.1, then install 3.2 from scratch.  Once it is installed, then you restore the 3.1 backup, and the data will be migrated.  This typically results in a much cleaner upgrade.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The solution to problem 3 is easy.  That's known bug CSCsr93277.  TAC has a patch for LMS 3.1, but the recommended fix is to upgrade to LMS 3.2.  It sounds like problems 1 and 2 may be related to CSCsz08953 which is also fixed in LMS 3.2.

As for changing the emails, this really isn't possible.  Only in LMS 3.2 did we add the ability to customize the subject, but the body is fixed.  You can, however, disable the body, and only send the subject.

Thanks for the quick reply jclarke.

That seems to be to solution I've been reading/hearing about. But I have a few questions about that move itself:

1) Would updating each component seperately equate to upgrading to 3.2 (This way I can minimize downtime - I think)

2) If not, do I need to do a fresh install of 3.2, or can I upgrade from 3.1?

No, you cannot upgrade 3.1 to 3.2 piecemeal.  You must do the entire bundle at once.  You can upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2, but I typically recommend one take a backup of 3.1, uninstall 3.1, then install 3.2 from scratch.  Once it is installed, then you restore the 3.1 backup, and the data will be migrated.  This typically results in a much cleaner upgrade.

Thanks for your help jclarke, I will most likely do this next week.

I should also point out that once you upgrade to LMS 3.2, there is a consolidated patch for DFM to apply at http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/ImageList.x?relVer=3.2.0&mdfid=282640771&sftType=CiscoWorks+Device+Fault+Manager+Patches&optPlat=Windows&nodecount=2&edesignator=null&modelName=CiscoWorks+Device+Fault+Manager+3.2&treeMdfId=268439477&treeNa... which will fix quite a few DFM bugs which are still present in 3.2.  You should download, and apply this patch, and that should give you a much better DFM experience.

Thanks for that update.

One more quick question Sir - Is it possible to create a report within/from DFM that lists all the Active alerts? I'm looking for a daily report kind of thing to use as something of a to-do list.

Thanks again.

Not a report, no.  However, the Alerts and Activities Display always shows you the active alerts.  The most recent and most critical are at the top.  Therefore, if you need a TODO list, open AAD, and work your way down from the top.

Hi jclarke,

I've just installed 3.2 on a test machine (more less identical to my Production setup). Once in install the patch that you've suggested for DFM, I get the following error (see DFM_upgrade_error.jpg)

I did a quick google on the error, and it seems the majority of the people with this issue say it's due to not having the latest .NET framework - is this the case?

Also, what are the repercussions or such an error - do I have to uninstall then re-install the patch? The whole LMS?

Thanks

This error should have been FIXED by applying the CSCta56151 cumulative patch (the original bug is CSCsx23656). Yes, installing the latest .NET 2.0 SP should workaround this, but installing the patch should have fixed it.  Make sure you properly installed the patch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: