cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMs 3.2 name resolution preference

raindrop18
Level 1
Level 1

we currently using host file for name resolution for LMS server and we will going to DNS, and I am curious if DNS fast enough to do for LMS to amange 4k devices, specially on device discovery, or CM. also on DNS search prifx our sub domain is the 3rd prefered not the first one. with all these i have some doubt. please if you have experiance moving from host to DNS please share your experiance or suggestion. thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Think like this:- You have around 5000 + devices and n number of host connected to it. So this is expected, however you can look into the setting for User Tracking Acquisition at

Campus Manager > User Tracking > Administration and check various option like Ping Sweep - > you can exclude sunets from ping sweep for which user tracking discovery is not required.

Same goes for Configure Subbet Acquisition.

At the end, if you have master slave server and managing 2500 hundered devices on two slave server , it will results in better performance however this standalone still can work fine with the kind of configuration you have on CiscoWorks server, its really awesome and definately handling CiscoWorks application nicely

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Gaganjeet

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Gaganjeet Chug
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Usually using DNS server option will be Ok unless otherwise there will be actually a network issue causing delay in DNS resolution. However we need to consider the  "number of devices" that could result in slow DNS resolution but that will not effect the complete funtionality of CiscoWorks.

Also we will suggest you to implement Master - Slave  environment for managing around 2500 device in each serer to get the optimized performance.

Bottom line is :- Its OK to use DNS for 5000+ devices however you can get better performance by implementing Master - Slave environment of CiscoWorks.

Here is the White Papers on Large Sclae deplyoment guide for CiscoWorks LMS 3.2 :-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6504/ps6528/ps2425/white_paper_c07-533663.html

Thanks,

Gaganjeet

thanks a lot this is very interesting information. the performance on the performance Data is realistic??!!! our LMS running on 32 gig memory gig with 10 CPU on it. the CPU and the Memory usage so far never passed 10% but here is some example compare to Cisco performance data.

Our   Device Discovery  3500 Devices -> 4hrs  ------------  Cisco white paper data -> 15 minute for 5K

Our  Device Data Collection 3500 Devices ->11 hrs ------------Cisco white paper data -> 4 hrs   for 5k

Oour User Tracking Discovering 3550 devices and 30k Devices-> 23hrs ------------Cisco white paper data -> 1.26 hrs for 100k 

I know we are running LMS on stand alone devices, but the server is only using less than 10% of the resources. so is really other benfit using dual server other than resources? for this performance I would add not only 2 server i can put 4 but I am a little bit suspecious about this white paper result. if really tested on real world enviroment or something huge thing missing on our system.

Hi,

"Our   Device Discovery  3500 Devices -> 4hrs  ------------  Cisco white paper data -> 15 minute for 5K

Our  Device Data Collection 3500 Devices ->11 hrs ------------Cisco white paper data -> 4 hrs   for 5k

Oour  User Tracking Discovering 3550 devices and 30k Devices-> 23hrs  ------------Cisco white paper data -> 1.26 hrs for 100k "

Well, this all depends how we have configured community strings on the CiscoWorks and how is the network response when query will send to the devices.

The performance depicted in the White papers are more like examples and it may vary from network to network. But another fact is how we have configured the CiscoWorks to collect the data from devices like for example while doing Device Discovery if you have 300 devices in DCR already and select the option "Use DCR list for Device Discovery" then obviously it will start the 300 discovery thread from these devices and it will take lot more time to discover the devices in network. Similarly if you have configured, multiple community string for different types of devices and in the discovery setting you provide the target *.*.*.* for 1st community and *.*.*.* for two more  community string, then it will again take considerable time to discover the devices since each community string will be reffered for all the devices again and again.

Bottom line is , the time varies from network to network and also how you can fine tune your configureation setting in CiscoWorks.

Here is the good doc link to get the better understanding of "Device Discovery"

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9005

Hope it helps too.

Thanks,

Gaganjeet

Thanks Much Gagenjeet, regarding device discover, you are right we are using DCR as seed devices and I think that is terrable error. so we have 3500 devices on DCR mean we have that much thread? however we have only one community string for all devices.defienetly I will change the discovery method. one last question do you have any suggestion how I can improve user tracking? which currently took 23hrs to finish. or this also related to device discovery and the same case make it slow? once again thanks this is very valuable answer and document.

Hi,

Think like this:- You have around 5000 + devices and n number of host connected to it. So this is expected, however you can look into the setting for User Tracking Acquisition at

Campus Manager > User Tracking > Administration and check various option like Ping Sweep - > you can exclude sunets from ping sweep for which user tracking discovery is not required.

Same goes for Configure Subbet Acquisition.

At the end, if you have master slave server and managing 2500 hundered devices on two slave server , it will results in better performance however this standalone still can work fine with the kind of configuration you have on CiscoWorks server, its really awesome and definately handling CiscoWorks application nicely

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Gaganjeet

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card