In CS>Device management I am unable to add devices manually to DCR, the devices doesnt show up after add device wizard is finished.
However, devices are added in DCR using discovery, but hostname is not reflected as display name in DCR, although we have checked that option of using hostname as DCR display name in discovery settings. LMS is not integrated with ACS, however the devices are.
Please suggest how to proceed ?
Please find the attached debug log for System Module in CS. Also after discovery when i see summary, In reachable or discovered devices i could the hostname is correctly displayed but when i click on devices new added to DCR only IP is displayed in display name but not hostname.
If LMS is installed on a multi-processor Windows server, your problem is most likely CSCtd07131. A patch is available for TAC to fix this problem.
The original problem you reported had to do with being able to add devices. The fix from TAC would have no bearing as to whether or not devices added to DCR would be added by hostname. For that, the IP addresses you see in your screenshot must be resolvable either in DCS or in the local hosts file. You can use the NMSROOT/bin/resolver.pl to test this. For example:
NMSROOT/bin/perl NMSROOT/bin/resolver.pl 172.21.12.163
Thanks for reply Joe,
Yeah i was able to correctly display hostnames of devices in DCR, once after i've added hostnames entries in lmhosts file.
But I wonder if there could be a possible alternative to this scenario of resolving hostnames of devices without DNS.
Since its not always a case of adding devices in DNS records & suffix them with domain names. Moreover if
SNMP could read hostname MIB, it should add the hostnames automatically if DNS doesnt work.
There is no hostname MIB. However, I have an enhancement request open for Discovery to use sysDescr as the display name value without needing to do any name resolution on it.