cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.0.1 Headaches

carltonjo
Level 1
Level 1

So our IT guys installed LMS 4.0.1 on a VMWare machine.  I went in and added a seed device, set up the credentials and other discovery settings.  Ran a discovery and came back the first time only discovering around 125 devices of those only 4 of them being reachable.  I double checked the credentials, ran it again and still same results.  I added a few seed devices, added discovery through just about every option on there (cdp, arp, ping sweep, etc).  That brought the count up to 197 devices discovered but still only 4 of them being reachable.  I then manually added in a bunch of devices. 

Now that I have manually added in devices I go to the different areas like inventory and that shows up with no devices.  They only show up on the discovery list under reachable devices and on the topology map.   

What am I doing wrong? 

Oh and somewhere in there with my changing seed devices around, my topology map always shows the discovery as running and all the solid link lines between devices are now red dash lines. 

Thanks in advance.

Joe

6 Replies 6

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Generally speaking if you're new to LMS, I recommend at least reading this excellent intro guide written by another forum contributor:

LMS (not just) for Dummies

Aside from that, specific to what you're seeing, double check your snmp credentials and potentially increase your snmp timeout.

Also check your "unreachable" (bit of a misnomer since that term includes things LMS can't establish snmp communications with even though they may be quite reachable) devices for potential access-lists applied to their snmp configurations.

Thanks for the link Marvin.  I'll read through it. 

I'm not really new to Ciscoworks but 4.0 is new to me.  I've used older versions before.  We are running an older version here and I pretty much used the same settings but 4.0 didn't like them.  I'm going to go through and change the timeouts.  I adjusted them once thinking that would help but maybe didn't go far enough.

I've verified the credentials several times now but I can try that again if everything else fails.

Thanks again.

Joe

Yeah I've been using LMS since it's origins in CiscoWorks "classic" days in the mid-90s (available for both Solaris and AIX then!) and I still learn something new every week.

In addition to the above, I've found it sometimes useful to snoop (Wireshark or whatever) the communications to a particular "unreachable" device while discovery is being attempted. It can sometimes highlight where the failure may be. Just filter your capture to/from the device in question so as to grab a manageable capture file.

You might also try turning on snmp debug at the target device at the same time.

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate the help.

I started through the guide and did some changes according to that and I'm rerunning the discovery now and so far it's picked up more devices than before so this may help.  I'm going to let it finish running then try the inventory instructions and see how that goes. 

Joe

Oh, I have one more stupid question.  When I have the topology map open and I try to run a report of just about anything else it attempts to open Firefox instead of IE.  I have IE set as my default browser but FF still keeps opening.  Where in Ciscoworks can I change that? 

Thanks

Joe

That last one is a new one by me!

I do know that the Topo window is a Java applet. Perhaps there's some setting in your Java preferences.

I'm not a programmer but a Google check tells me there's something with JNLP file types being associated with and/or registered on certain browsers. I'd trace that down on your system.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: