Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.0 issues

gunarserdmanis
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I installed LMS 4.0 evaluation version on a test server and encountered the following issues:

1. Installation
During installation several Installshield errors appeared. Nevertheless installation finished successfuly.

2. IPSLA
I am unable to create an IP SLA collector. No devices are shown under Source devices although there is a cat3750 switch added to the LMS.

3. DFM
Several menus associated with DFM do not open. Instead error messages appear. The menus include:
Monitor> Fault Settings> Setup
Monitor> Threshold Settings> Fault
Reports> Fault and Event> History

4. VRF Lite
Errors are returned when accessing the following menus:
Admin> Network> Purge Settings> VRF Lite Purge Settings
Admin> Collection Settings> VRF Lite> VRF Lite Collector Schedule

5. UT
Errors are returned when accessing the menus:
Inventory> User Tracking Settings> Acquisition Summary
Admin> Collection Settings> User Tracking> Acquisitions Info
Admin> Collection Settings> User Tracking> Dynamic Update Process Status

6. RME
Inventory> Dashboards> Device Status: Collection summary - displays error:
Sorry, an error occurred

7. Software Management
Flash size is reported incorrectly. Instead of 16MB it appears as 15MB. Because of this it is impossible to upgrade IOS using LMS.

Did anyone experience similar issues and find a solution?

Thank you in advance,
Gunars

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Assem Fares
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

New bug CSCtk63285 filed to track the issue. A patch for this bug is available by calling the TAC.

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you please confirm your server OS revision?

Hello mklemovitch,

LMS is running on the Windows Server 2008 Standard SP2.

G.

OK thanks. That should be OK as a server.

I had asked becasue some folks had reported similar problems when inadvertently using a Windows Server 2008 R2 platform.

can you provide the installation log? You will find it under C:\Ciscoworks_install_xxx

Sure. The file is attached to the post

this is what it looks like for me:

- it seems you have installed LMS from within an RDP Session but without setting the /admin flag when opening the session;

- you haven't changed the TMP and TEMP variable to something short (like C:\Windows\tmp)

- you have this sever error concerning RME:

[...]

ERROR:  Failed to execute E:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx/bin/cwjava.exe -cw E:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx -cw:jre lib/jre  -cp:p MDC/tomcat/webapps/rme/WEB

-INF/classes;MDC/tomcat/shared/lib/MICE.jar;MDC/tomcat/webapps/rme/WEB-INF/lib/log4j.jar;MDC/tomcat/webapps/rme/WEB-INF/lib/xdi.jar;

MDC/tomcat/shared/lib/NATIVE.jar com.cisco.nm.rmeng.common.jobregistration.JobRegistrationUtil E:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/webapps

/rme/WEB-INF/classes/com/cisco/nm/rmeng/common/jobregistration/jobregistration.dat with return value: 256

[...]

- you have several failures of this kind:

[...]

-----Extracted Mibs from nmidb.jar.

Error loading: E:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\lib\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll

Unable to launch JVM

----- end of Extracted Mibs from nmidb.jar.

[...]

==> for the last issue I am wondering why this does not gets into the ERROR log at the end of the installation as I assume this makes your installation unusable (or I am wrong with my assumption...)

but the RME error is yet enough to reinstall...

I would suggest to uninstall LMS and begin from scratch and following the tips here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9132

I agree with Martin.  In fact, I found if DEP or anti-virus is to play here.  It may be beneficial for you to contact TAC to get the clean_system.exe tool to clean up this system before reinstalling.  You can use the Open Service Request link in the Actions panel to open the SR with all of this CSC context preserved.

Is it possible to open a TAC case for the evaluation version of LMS? I ask this because if my memory serves it was explicitly stated in the documentation that evaluation versions are not supported by TAC.

Thank you for your help.

- As per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947723 I do not need to use /admin switch to get administrator privileges. And the Terminal services role is not installed on the server.

- I also tried to install LMS having Temp directory changed to short name (i.e. C:\Temp), but the installation issues remained.

Nevertheless I installed LMS on a different computer (this time not on a VM, which was probably causing the installation problems). Installation completed without any installshield error and some of the other mentioned issues disappeared as well (issues: 4., 5. and 6.)

Though the remaining are still remaining.

Issue 7 is a non-issue as this is expected.  The device does not report the unformatted flash size via SNMP.  However, that should not be a problem.  LMS has a algorithm built in to handle these formatted flash sizes.

To be clear, are you still seeing the same problem with creating IP SLA collectors as well as fault monitoring problems?

So, is there an easy way to fix the issue 7?

Yes, that's right - issues 2 and 3 are still present.

Issue 7 is a non-problem.  That is, your software upgrade jobs should still work even though RME is not reporting a full 16 MB of flash.  You should not see a hard error preventing you from doing the upgrade.  There is no way to get LMS to show the full unformatted flash size.

For your DFM issue, please start a new thread as that could become involved in terms of troubleshooting.  For your IP SLA issue, what version of code is your 3750 running?  What is the output of "show ip sla appl" from this 3750?

The switch is currently running: c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE.bin

---
The output of the 'show ip sla application' command:

IP Service Level Agreement Technologies

IPSLAs Infrastructure version: Engine-II

Supported Operation Types:
        dhcp, dns, echo, ftp, http, jitter, mpls jitter, pathEcho
        pathJitter, tcpConnect, udpEcho
Supported Features:
        IPSLAs Event Publisher

IP SLAs low memory water mark: 9060213

Estimated system max number of entries: 6635
Estimated number of configurable operations: 6635
Number of Entries configured  : 0
Number of active Entries      : 0
Number of pending Entries     : 0
Number of inactive Entries    : 0

Last time the operation configuration changed: 16:17:57.943 eet Mon Nov 8 2010

Enable IPSLACLIENT and IPSLASERVER debugging under Admin > System > Debugging Settings > IPSLA Debugging Settings, then go to Monitor > Performance Settings > IPSLA > Devices.  Check the 3750, then click the Update IPSLA Config button.  If the 3750 isn't then usable for creating IP SLA Collectors, post the ipm.log, ipmserver.log, and ipmclient.log.