Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.0 processes

hkupper
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have installed lms 4.0 on a windows 2008 R2 server with the 2008 R2-Patch. The installation was a horror trip. After that, the LMS background processes are all shown as "never started" and I have to start them manually which will take a long long time. This happens for every system reboot.

What can I do to start the processes (ani server, dcr and so on) automatically?

Best regards

Hubert

9 Replies 9

ngoldwat
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

What was the order of operations? I have seen this issue occur when LMS is already running on R1, then the OS is upgraded and then the patch is applied.

Additional Info:

1. Please detail the steps you performed.
  2. You state that you are able to start the processes manually. By what method are you starting them. Have you changed any of the start methods? IE Automatic, Manual etc.
  3. Are you a member of a domain?
  4. Is anti-virus active? Was it during the install?
  5. Have you been performing maintenence as a local Administartive user? (Not a Domain account)

Thanks

Hi,

the order of operations was:

1. Installation of windows 2008 R2 server with patches

2. Installation of CWLMS 4.0 with the 2008R2-patch. The installation will hang at the "default logrot change" state (I've posted a question about this in January 2011 without a helpful answer). When I terminate the java.exe process for default logrot change then the installation will continue. I've tried step 1 and 2 a lot before (with win 2003 R2 server and win 2008 R2 server) and the installation always stucks.

After the installation I can start LMS 4.0 and under "admin servermonitor processes" all processes are shown as "never started". I can select and start them with the "start button". This will take time, but works.

I start LMS with the administrator account in win 2008 and run it as admin user in LMS. There is no antivirus software active and no domain membership.

Regards

The LMS Daemon Manager uses the local user 'casuser' to start/stop processes on it's behalf. The 'casuser' typically has a random password as it is not an account you should log in with.  Sometimes a password reset helps when running into permissions issues. To change the password:

A. Open a command line in the CiscoWorks server.

B. Issue 'net stop crmdmgtd'

C. Go to the following path:

\setup\support

D. In this path, please type as follows:

resetCasuser.exe

E. Then, the next will be displayed:

Please select the following option to proceed.
==============================================
1. Randomly generate casuser password.
2. Enter casuser password. <-- Choose if password complexity is enforced
3. Exit.
==============================================
Please enter a valid option:

Most likely option 2 is preferred due to minimum password comlexity requirements.

F. Issue 'net start crmdmgtd' & wait 20 min before logging back in to LMS

If you still have issues, please examine the Windows Event Logs for clues. IE audit failures

Thanks

I have a few customers that use aggressive GPO's on their domain.

Several times it has happened that LMS servers were attacked by these policy server and the casuser account was tampered with.

Best is to do the install LMS before the server goes into the domain and an exception on the policy server is created for the LMS server.

No 100% sure what todo when the damage is done, but I think recreating the local casuser and making it owner of the CSCOpx directory should be sufficient.

Cheers,

Michel

Ok! I did what ngoldwat and you said: I changed the casuser password and made him the owner of the CSCOpx directory. After that the most processes started sucessfully. Only the following processes are shown as never started:

FHPurgeTask

DCRDEvicePoll

CSDiscovery

UTMajorAcquisition

Regards

Hubert

That is normal.

These tasks that are launched from time to time.

Cheers,

Michel

Ok, then everything seems to be fine now.

Many, many thanks for the help to all!

Best regards

Hubert

FYI, you can use the daemon cheat sheet lists at https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8798 to see what standard healthy daemon states are.

Thank you very much!

Best regards

Hubert

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card