Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 4.1 add Non-Cisco devices

m.arienti
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

does LMS 4.1 support other vendor devices? If my device  is not in "LMS non-Cisco devices" database is possible to add the MIB to manage these devices?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Cool we got someone from the tac with us. Lets be a bit more specific then.

I think it is true to say that except the performance module the other modules can't do anything with a third party device.

That means what is not possible:

• No config backup
  • No fault management
  • No topology
  • No usertracking

What is possible:

• polling a numeric OID by creating a template from a mib you import. one template per OID
  • And you can create thresholds for the pollers per OID.
  • A third party device can always be a target for an IPM collector

What is missing to make if usefull:

• Unfortunately the poller can only raise an alarm, not clear it.
  • An instant view of a poller state. A view like the green circle for availability but then for the members of a poller would be a great feature to add.
  • And of course if it would be possible to combine the values of a few OID's in a threshold. Many devices don't have an OID to say 'all is fine' so I need a combination of OID

Hi cgiglio13,

Feel free to correct me wherever I say something incorrect/incomplete.

I try to give my customers the most they can get from LMS so let me know what I failed to see so far.

Cheers,

Michel

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

You can add non cisco devices but there is little useful thing LMS can do with it.

basically it can do availability of the non cisco hosts and monitor a specific OID if you add the mib

Cheers,

Michel

I'm hoping someone from Cisco can chime in on this, because the docs make it sound like you can do a bit more, although it's not entirely clear. 

I actually just posted this question yesterday myself after not being able to find a good answer anywhere.

there is a lot u can do with non Cisco gear. it's all about loading mibs and creating pollers and templates.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Cool we got someone from the tac with us. Lets be a bit more specific then.

I think it is true to say that except the performance module the other modules can't do anything with a third party device.

That means what is not possible:

• No config backup
  • No fault management
  • No topology
  • No usertracking

What is possible:

• polling a numeric OID by creating a template from a mib you import. one template per OID
  • And you can create thresholds for the pollers per OID.
  • A third party device can always be a target for an IPM collector

What is missing to make if usefull:

• Unfortunately the poller can only raise an alarm, not clear it.
  • An instant view of a poller state. A view like the green circle for availability but then for the members of a poller would be a great feature to add.
  • And of course if it would be possible to combine the values of a few OID's in a threshold. Many devices don't have an OID to say 'all is fine' so I need a combination of OID

Hi cgiglio13,

Feel free to correct me wherever I say something incorrect/incomplete.

I try to give my customers the most they can get from LMS so let me know what I failed to see so far.

Cheers,

Michel

If my non-cisco device is in LMS 4.1 database how I can polling the OID or create a template? there is a guide or some documentation?

thanks

The hard part is to find a suitable OID. Once you have that....

You can create a new template under Monitor -> Performance Settings -> Setup -> Templates.

If you need to import a mib go here: Admin -> Network -> Monitor / Troubleshoot -> Load MIB.

Cheers,

Michel

But if the device is already known by Lms 4.1 (summit200-48 1.3.6.1.4.1.1916.2.54 is known in LMS 4.1 like non-Cisco devices) i have to manually insert the MIB to create a new template?

Thanks

Marco 

If what you want to monitor that is covered by mibs already in LMS then you don't need to import new mibs.

These are rfc1213mib, ifmib and entity-mib.

If you want to monitor something else specfic to this devicetype then yes.

Cheers,

Michel

I checked under the mib that you suggest (rfc1213mib, ifmib and entity-mib) but there is noone of the OID that I search (1.3.6.1.4.1.1916.2.54...)

Under rfc1213mib, ifmib and entity-mib there are general OID or in these MiB i'll have to find some specific OID for Extreme devices?

Thanks

Marco

Yes, you have to find what extreme mib holds the OID you mentioned for your devicetype and import it.

Then you can lookup the numeric OID you want to monitor and add it to the template.

And then you create the poller with the new template.

And perhaps a performance threshold with an action if the value returned is not what you want it to be:.

Monitor -> Threshold Settings -> Performance

Cheers,

Michel

I found the MIB that contain the OID that I need but if i change the extension in .my and load the file on CiscoWorks I can see the template but I can't see any OID to poll..

??

When you create a new template and you select the mib you imported, then you don't see the OID?

That is what mean?

The OID has a name, that you should be able to find.

Here I look for an OID with 'status' as a part of the name.

Cheers,

Michel

If I import file v744b9.mib that contains the OID that I need, and I load mib on CiscoWorks (after I rename it in .my) under the windows that open if I select v744b9.my I can't see anything.

This is very strange. You did not get any faults importing the mib? If you do, what are they?

If not then indeed  it should 'just' work.   But maybe this part of LMS is not yet as mature as I hope it is.

I have no idea if the mibcomplier they use leaves a logfile, I believe it makes an xml version of the mibfile somewhere, but I don't recall the details.

I think you better open a TAC case to find out how to troubleshoot this.

Cheers,

Michel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco