cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS4, DFM, remove and re-add single device

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

A couple of times now I found that devices have gotten into DFM before the DNS was updated with the device name. A simple rediscover of the device does not pick up the device DNS name in DFM (in LMS it does ofcourse).

Also somethimes devices are stuck in learing or move to questioned without ever really trying to rediscover.

In LMS 3.2 it was possible to remove such single devices from DFM and to bring them back from the DCR later on. (no impact on configurations, map, groups, etc)

Is there a way in LMS4 to do this? A CLI method is what I'm looking for as I can see it is no longer possible in the GUI.

I'm aware I can turn of and on faultmanagement but I that is quite impacting where you have several hundred devices

Cheers,

Michel.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, this is not possible in LMS 4.0, and something that is quite a pain.  I am pushing this point with development to see if we can get this functionality added back in LMS 4.2.  The only way to remove a device is to unmanage it from all management functions.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, this is not possible in LMS 4.0, and something that is quite a pain.  I am pushing this point with development to see if we can get this functionality added back in LMS 4.2.  The only way to remove a device is to unmanage it from all management functions.

Thanks Joe,

I'm always glad to hear other people see the same thing as an Issue. So its not just me nagging :-)

I also think it would be quite useful if LMS could have a group for each application so I can decide what devices got into RME, DFM, HUM, etc.

Cheers,

Michel

Hi Joe,

Is there any update on bringing back the ability to remove devices from DFM in LMS 4.2.2?

The scenario I have is there are a couple of devices that do not exist in DCR but are in DFM. My install of DFM has had some issues until recently and I deleted these devices some time ago from DCR but they were never removed from DFM. I now have DCR and DFM syncing ok but these are the remnants that need to be removed

Your above solution can't work in this case because the devices are already unmanaged and deleted.

Thanks,

Mark

Yes you can.

Under CSCOpx\objects\smarts\bin you can find the CLI tools to do this.

First you must obtain the class of the device, e.g. Switch, Router, etc.

dmctl -s DFM get UnitaryComputerSystem::%1::DisplayClassName

where %1 is your IP

Next you create a text file containing lines like this:

invoke %class%::%1 remove

Then you run dmctl -s DFM -f

Cheers,

Michel

Hi Michel

I have the same problem and want to remove one device from the DFM database which is no longer in the DCR. I tried the dmctl command as you wrote.

But i can't get the class of the device (Error: Object of given name and class not found).

Even when i try with a device which is in DFM and in the DCR and works as it should.

dmctl is very poorly descripted...

Regards,

Martin