Views
Helpful
Replies

Mapping file structure from LMS3.2.1 to LMS4.2

kerim mohammed
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

in LMS3.2.1 we have NMSRoot/log/syslog.log where syslogs are being logged actively from managed devices. i couldn't find the same in LMS4.2. I am configuring LMS4.2 from scratch and in the hope of making the trasition from old LMS3.2.1 to LMS 4.2, I am planning assigning the old LMSs IP to the new one. basically changing the IP address of LMS4.2. Do you see any problem with this (like service sdisturbance) ?

thanks,

Kerim

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ah, I see. On solaris and the softappliance the syslog file is located in 

/var/log/

and the file name is "syslog_info", so it is

/var/log/syslog_info

View solution in original post

- is there any ACL or firewall which could prevent the syslog messages from arriving at your LMS server? UDP 514 must be open to let them pass.

- have you changed the syslog facility with which the devices are sending their syslog messages ?

the syslog daemon expect them to arrive with local7 (which is the default on cisco devices

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

the basic file structure has not changed between LMS 3.2 and LMS 4.2, i.e. you should definitely find NMSROOT\log\syslog.log at this place in both installations (with NMSROOT being the installation path of LMS, e.g. C:\Program Files\CSCOpx).

There is no problem changing the IP address of the LMS server, just shut down dmgtd (net stop crmdmgtd) change the IP address and restart the whole server.

thanks for getting back to me. But, i am talking about migrating LMS3.2.1 on windows to LMS4.2 on vSphere 5 as soft appliance. am assuming it is going to be in /var/adm/CSCOpx/log.... i couldn't find the syslog.log file. i also tried /var/adm/CSCOpx/files/rme/Syslog/, all i can find is the syslog purged.

ah, I see. On solaris and the softappliance the syslog file is located in 

/var/log/

and the file name is "syslog_info", so it is

/var/log/syslog_info

Thanks! one more thing, i configured my switches to send syslog messages to this server. i captured packes and actually saw syslog being sent to this LMS server. however, syslog_info stays empty. i wonder, what could i be missing!

Check the syslog_info file, which should have correct casuser permisisons to rwx.

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

i changed the owner and owner-group to casuser:casusers and changed the mode to rwx. but, still syslog_info is empty.

here is the current setting on syslog_info file:

-rwxrwxrwx 1 casuser casusers   0 feb  9 2012 syslog_info.

i still do not see the syslog messages in the file. this is despite tones of syslog messages that being sent to LMS from our enterprise switches. can't figure out what i can be missing.

- is there any ACL or firewall which could prevent the syslog messages from arriving at your LMS server? UDP 514 must be open to let them pass.

- have you changed the syslog facility with which the devices are sending their syslog messages ?

the syslog daemon expect them to arrive with local7 (which is the default on cisco devices

thanks MARTIN!

once i changed the logging facility on one of my switches i started reciving the syslog messages. how can change syslog deamon so that it expects the syslog messages with local3 which is the setting on all of our switches. that is how it is working on LMS3.2.1.

thanks,

Kerim

Hi Martin,

i changed the syslog.conf file so that the deamon recieved facility with local3 i.e

local3.info        /var/log/syslog_info

but after i saved the change when i come back and check it is reverted back to the default "local7.info". is it possible to edit this value on syslog.cof?

thanks,

Kerim

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: