cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Merging hostname with domain name

olly ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone help me out to find the solution of merging cisco router hostname with domain name. Suppose I have a router and I set hostname "R1" and domain name "test.com". I want when people will telnet or ssh to the router they will see the hostname as "R1.test.com"

3 Replies 3

steffen.leget1
Level 1
Level 1

As far as i know this is not possible. And if it would be possible then I should ask myself why. Since the domain is handled with the domain controller (Not local on the switch) and  the Hostname is used primarily for the switch (Local).

If you have setup your connections in the right way (and it seems you have) you should allready be able to SSH with the FQDN in your case R1.test.com to connect to your device.

Offcourse you should have an active DC and a DHCP controller to link the FQDN to the management ip address of your device.

Hi Steffen,

Thanks for your kind reply and explanation. Would you please explain more deeply or will you share any link so that I can understand "Offcourse you should have an active DC and a DHCP controller to link the FQDN to the management ip address of your device" as well as can configure.

Hi ollyahmed,

I have a System enginering as well as a Networking background so i will try to explain it the best i can. First of all i mentioned a DC where i meant a DNS both differ a lot but that is a different conversation

A hostname on a switch is a device oriënted setting. Meaning you set it at the device itself. Connecting to a device via SSH you need a way to connect like an IP address on an Interface. Connecting via hostname R1 only isn't possible because in one network you can have several devices having the hostname R1, so where to connect too?

A domain has a forwarding principle (DNS) to let "users" communicate on a name base. Since names are easier to remember than ip addresses...

An FQDN(Fully Qualified Domain Name) points to a device within a domain. In your example the domain is test.com, the device name is R1.These names are translated by DNS to an IP address. So when typing from a remote location R1.test1.com to make an SSH connection in fact R1.test1.com is translated by your client to an ip address like for example 10.10.10.10(DHCP?) where DNS Provides the domain or (location) where this (Private A class) IP address is located.

So far the explanation now what do you need:

-A DNS (Forwarder)

-if you want to connect from devices out of your private network the domain needs to be registered at a domain registering company as a domain name space. check this page. And you need a local DNS service to provide the translation to a IP address

-if you only want to connect from local devices you only need a Local DNS Service

-DHCP: assuming you work in a company and devices aren't provided with permanent IP addresses.

Usually DNS and DHCP are combined within a single solution or package.

Hope i helped you out