Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS move from HSRP to GLBP

tweep9141983
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

New client of mine has offices around Asia and interconnects via Telstra MPLS.  Main office has 2 MPLS links (6M Primary and a 2M Backup), with client end router setup with HSRP to failover.  After reviewing the utilization for 2 weeks, I noticed that during peak hours the primary link get over-utilized and users from across other offices start to struggle and begin reporting issues.

I am planning to move from HSRP to GLBP instead so at least my client makes the backup useful, as it has been there unused for almost 36 months already.  This case if it still over-utilizes both links, that will be the time I will propose for bandwidth upgrade.  See attached simple diagram.

I have not used GLBP before in operation, just did some short tests in a lab environment.  Is there any issues I need to be aware or be prepared for?

Was thinking of issues like asymmetric routing, but I reckon it's not going to be an issue since the packets will end up in the same path and same number of routers/hops in between and going to any of our destinations.

Thanks in advance guys.. appreciate it!

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There other suggestion here, may be think, GLBP good if you have equal size of Links, but your setup also works.

If you want to optimally use the Links - why not split the load some uses 6MB and some uses 2MB Links, with 2 HSRP Setup and fail over in case of one of the link fails.

HSRP 1 - 6MB Link  Active

HSRP 2  - 2MB Link Active

Do you have NAT Involved on this links ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help