Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MRP is not supported on this interface GigabitEthernet1/26

Hi,

Trying to create a Ring with a mix of IE4000s and IE4010s. I am using the guide by Cisco on MRP:

Cisco Redundancy Protocol GUIDE

I am following the step-by-step instructions to configure mrp, and the IE4000s work like a charm as mrp clients or managers.

I tried following the same steps for IE4010s, but they don't like it. I keep getting this error:

"MRP is not supported on this interface GigabitEthernet1/26"

I have disabled profinet mrp and even profinet itself, but nothing. 

Strangely, I tried to use one of the copper ports on the 4010s for the mrp (i.e. gi1/1), and mrp client on the 4010 works fine. It is only if I try using one of the SFPs that the switch does not like it. 

I am using the same SFP model for the IE4000s, and they work just fine. Do I need to configure something special for the SFP ports for MRP to work on the IE4010s?

Or a specific guide for IE4010 configuration? 

Thanks!

Jorge M.

6 Replies 6

TimJenkins
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever find a fix for this please, as I have the same problem too ?

This may be old thread, and may be not followed as expected.

What is your issue and your setup ?

What Logs you see ? what IOS code running ? can you update to latest Code and test it ?

have you read the below document :

Guidelines and Limitations

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/secure-firewall/management-center/device-config/710/management-center-device-config-71/get-started-deployment.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

TimJenkins
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco 4010 switch.  Try to enable MRP on GigabitEthernet1/25 or 1/26 (the SFP ports) using the command "mrp ring 1".  Error message returned is :

"ERROR% MRP is not supported on this interface GigabitEthernet1/25"
IOS: 15.2(8) E1

Image: LAN Base

TimJenkins
Level 1
Level 1

Got to the bottom of it - Cisco helpfully say they don't support MRP on 4010 uplinks.  Begs the question why not considering it's not uncommon for switches to be inter-connected over fibre. Not supporting MRP over 4010 uplinks makes the switches about as much use as a chocolate fireguard in industrial networks.   Thanks a lot Cisco - not.  

May be feature request - hope cisco BU hear you..

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

On the guide said - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/industrial-ethernet-4010-series-switches/datasheet-c78-737279.html

MRP is supported but all uplinks not supporting sound ridiculous and Cisco is cheating on us