Views
Helpful
Replies

multiple cwjava.exe processes consumes lot of memory

comsameer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

I am workingon LMS3.2.1 . Due to lot of cwjava processes, more than 60% memory gets consumed. If I close the unwanted processes many services shut down and DCR and JRM server also doesnot work.

I dont understand why these many processes gets open. Though we have purchased  DFM,IPM and UN , we dont use the same so I used to stop those processes but it affects the required process too.

Please let me know how to stop unwanted cwjava processes and why frequently JRM and DCR server goes down??

Below are software versions

1  Campus Manager                      5.2.2

2.  CiscoView                                6.1.9

3.  CiscoWorks Assistant               1.2.0 

4.  CiscoWorks Common Services   3.3.1

5.  Device Fault Manager                  3.2.1 

6.  Health and Utilization Monitor       1.2.2  

7.  Integration Utility                            1.9.0 

8.  Internetwork Performance Monitor  4.2.1  

9.  LMS Portal                                   1.2.1  

10.  Resource Manager Essentials  4.3.2   

with regards,

Neena

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In windows Start > all program > Ciscoworks > Uninstall Ciscowork should initiate the uninstall process, where it will ask which Module to uninstall.

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Neena,

Ciscoworks is a Java Struts based software and almost all the processes are excuted as cwjava.exe. CiscoWorks server has many services which are responsible to run various features. You can run the command NMSROOT/bin/pdshow to see the ciscoworks processes which are executed in OS side as cwjava.exe. You can match the PID of the process in pdshow output and task manager.

This is NOT the right way to kill process via task manager, which may have -ve implications on Ciscoworks. You should match the PID and check which actual process is taking higher memory.

Based on the process names it can be identified if the memory consumption is genuine or not and how they can be contrrolled.

Check this document:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-1844

Some processes are known to take higher memory, like DFM, Hum, ANI etc. Also, please refer the the LMS 3.2

hardware/software Prerequisite Guide , if your server is complaint.

-Thanks

Vinod

Hi Vinod,

Thanks for reply.

But how I will come to know which application is using which processes as few process are dependent on other processes.

Another question is In RME home page, it is showing error like "JRM service could be down Check whether JRM servic is running or not."  In PDSHOW command, JRM service is running and CTMJRM service is down.

Please suggest.

with regards,

Neena

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

You can uninstall the parts you don't use in LMS 3.2.

If you want to know what LMS process is using the memory/CPU use this batch file

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-21031

Cheers,

Michel

Hi Michel,

Please let me know how to uninstall the unwanted applications. I checked few things but failed to get any option to uninsall the same.

with regards,

Neena

Using the DVD media from which you installed LMS, you can just run the setup.exe once more.

Cheers,

Michel

In windows Start > all program > Ciscoworks > Uninstall Ciscowork should initiate the uninstall process, where it will ask which Module to uninstall.

-Thanks

Hi Vinod,

Thanks. I uninstalled two applications. Still process consumes lot of memory.

I want to know how I identify the processes belongs to which application to avoid from shutting down valid process. Is there any document stating the same.???

with regards,

Neena

Hi Neena,

Though Michel shared the link on how to know which PID refers to which ciscoworks process :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-21031

I have shown you example from my server :

So in above example you see ANIServer is taking more memory which is responsible for Data Collection in Campus Manager.

This way if you see the process name we can check why it is taking more memory and what precautions can be taken to fix this.

-Thanks

Vinod

Hi Vinod,

I got this point but I want to know which process belongs to which applications.

for eg. DFMOGSServer, Eventframework  process belongs to DFM application as name itself revels its identity but I dont know about ESS, EPM, EssentialDM, Interactor processes etc.

So where I will get this info about the processes.?????

with regards,

Neena

Yes this is an issue. It is not that user friendly to know which process belongs to what and responsible of doing what. For the process you mentioned I will share the details :

ESS :

It is installed by Common Services has a purpose of being used as Current bus for passing events between applications. This does not works directly with devices. Logs to ess.log and daemons.log (solaris).

EPMServer:

Internal DFM process and Process is used to send alerts and events from DfmServer. Processes the alerts as well.

EssentialsDM :

RME process and it Handles device management tasks such as Device Credential Verification.

Interactor :

DFM process and Pushes object attribute changes (such as managed state) to the DfmServer.

Interactor1:

DFM process and Pushes object attribute changes (such as managed state) to the DfmServer1.

For more details on DFM related processes please check :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_device_fault_manager/3.2/user/guide/adminDFM.html#wp1220961

It seems that your DFM processes are taking too much of memory. DFM processes are known for this. Many time it is due to over utilization of DFM. DFM is limited to support not only in managed number of devices but also, in terms of ports and interfaces.

If you manage an extremely huge number of active interfaces and ports.

How many devices are you managing? Is it possible to unmanage some devices from DFM.

-Thanks

Vinod

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: