Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple SNMP v3 command to type at one time

Pierre Dubois
Level 1
Level 1

Hello :-) ,

First of all I'm not sure to be in the correct forum. Don't hesitate to tell me it's the case and I'll move it ;-)

We use Solarwinds to manage our devices with SNMP v3 (switch and routers). There's a tool which provides the correlation between MAC, IP and ports using layer 2 and 3 devices (Switch Port Mapper).

We're experiencing an issue with it. The solution given by the Solarwinds support is to type this command on every devices and for all of our VLAN.

snmp-server group (groupname) v3 priv context vlan-(vlanid)

My question : is there any way to type this command only one time and to include all the VLANs defined on the equipment ? Like when you'd like to configure the same settings for a range of interfaces...

Thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers,

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It depends on the version of IOS.  Newer versions of IOS support the "match prefix" syntax which does a "contains" match.  For example:

snmp-server group v3group v3 auth context vlan- match prefix

If you don't have an IOS which supports that, you will need to configure each context manually.

View solution in original post

No you can't define a range.  You're literally matching on a string prefix.  If you replace v3group with your actual SNMPv3 group (and use the correct security level), this command should do it for you:

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It depends on the version of IOS.  Newer versions of IOS support the "match prefix" syntax which does a "contains" match.  For example:

If you don't have an IOS which supports that, you will need to configure each context manually.

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your reply.

I checked and it seems that the IOS version supports the "match prefix" syntax (12.2(50)SE1).

I don't really understand how to do it and how to set the match prefix. Can I define a range of VLAN after the match prefix ?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Cheers,

No you can't define a range.  You're literally matching on a string prefix.  If you replace v3group with your actual SNMPv3 group (and use the correct security level), this command should do it for you:

OK thank you. It seems to work very well :-)

How do you use snmp-server for V3 for autodiscover

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: