NAM-2 and Cisco NAM Software versions

Antonio Brandao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have an 6500 NAM-2 Module up and runing on 6509  with follow setup :

NAM application image version: 4.0(1a)

Maintenance image version: 2.1(3)

NAM Daughter Card Micro code version: 1.34.1.28 (NAM)

BIOS Version: 4.0-Rel 6.0.9

PID: WS-SVC-NAM-2

Memory size: 1024MB

Disk size: 40GB

Installed patches:

Questions is ...

Should I be able to run NAM Software version 5.1 ? If not which the latest software version I would be able to to run on this module ?

I been trying find some kind of compability matrix o requirements for NAM software versions at cisco.com but I could find it :/

Regards

AB

6 Replies 6

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

NAM 5.1 does not support any upgrades from the NAM 3.x or NAM 4.x software releases on NAM devices. If you are running a NAM 3.x or NAM 4.x release, you will need to do a fresh install of NAM 5.1.

WS-SVC-NAM-2 is a supported model and is eligible for updgrade, but I notice the Memory is just 1GB in this, and Cisco recommends min 2GB to support all he features properly.

To optimize the performance of NAM software, particularly of NAM 5.x releases given new features that can have large table sizes, Cisco offers a field-installable memory upgrade kit that can be purchased for WS-SVC-NAM-1 and WS-SVC-NAM-2 devices. The memory upgrade kit comes with 2GB of DRAM. Its part number is MEM-C6KNAM-2GB=.

Rest other details about Hardware Requirement, Software Requirement, BIOS, upgrade procedure etc you can check in Release notes for NAM 5.1 software :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/network_analysis_module_software/5.1/release/notes/nam51note.html

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Hi Vinod,

Thanks fo ur reply

I think best option for this hardware setup would be 4.2, right ?

Yes, per the current hardware NAM 4.2 would run prefect on this. But if you could get Memory Kit we would recommend to be on newer version, which has a lot of features and enhancements.

With 1GB, you may often see performence issues.

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Hi,

i have the same case, i have WS-SVC-NAM-2 install on cisco 6500 with version 3.4(1a) and i want to upgrade to version 6.0.2 ? is it possible ? if not can you have document ?

what do you mean install fresh module do you mean by a new one ?

Thanks

do you mean by fresh install to use this steps:

Step 1 Copy the NAM maintenance software image to a directory accessible to FTP.

Step 2 Log in to the switch through the console port or through a Telnet session.

Step 3 If the NAM is running in the application image, go to Step 5. If the NAM is not running in the application image, enter this command in the privileged mode:

Step 4 After the NAM is back online, establish a console session with the NAM and log in to the root account.

Step 5 Upgrade the NAM maintenance image software as follows:

Step 6 Follow the screen prompts during the upgrade.

Step 7 After completing the upgrade, log out of the NAM.

Step 8 Boot into the maintenance image to reset the NAM maintenance image software with a command like the following:

Router# hw-module module 9 reset cf:1

and i will start from 5.1 then 6.0.2

this is correct?

thanks

Hi Steven,

steps seems to be fine , just need to run --install command to clear the old data and move to a new Application Image.

The  --install

keyword clears  and recreates all of the NAM partitions; this action is similar to  restoring the factory-default state. If you use the  --install keyword, the previously stored reports and data (if any) will be lost.

Follow the below link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/network_analysis_module_software/5.1/switch/configuration/guide/advcfg.html#wp1035516

Hope this will help

Thanks-

Afroz

[Do rate the useful post]

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****