Views
Helpful
Replies

NAM Response time analysis

Mahmoud Elsoury
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 little question:

First: How Cisco NAM can calculate server, client and Network Responses while it is not the initiator of the traffic? Does it rely on any timestamps in the data packets? Do all protocols put a time stamp in the header ?

The second questions is: how does NAM classify the clients and servers? as I can see servers appearing as a client.

Thanks in advance. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Intelligent application performance (IAP) monitoring is a key feature that NAM provides: an ability to measure the response time of transactions between the client and server.

NAM monitors TCP packet flow between client and server and measures response time data to provide more visibility into application response times (ART) and network latency.

Following image will share more details :

NAM Application Response Time Measurements (It shows a representation of total transaction time as opposed to application response time)

Transaction Time versus Response Time Measurements (lists and describes the ART metrics measured by NAM)

As NAM can monitors the conversation and TCP packet flow between applications/Server and clients and from where it drives clients and servers.

-Thanks

Vinod

**Encourage Contributors. RATE Them.**

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco Prime NAM collects packets or flows information being sent to it from the switch, router, or WAAS devices. The NAM parses the packets and flow information, gathers relevant data, computes various performance and usage metrics, and stores processed information in the new Performance Database. This database provides valuable traffic information on voice, video, and data traffic, VLANs, Differentiated Services (DiffServ) configurations, hosts, conversation pairs, application usage, and application response times. This information is presented in the Cisco Prime NAM's GUI in easy-to-read interactive reports.

There are multiple ways to gain visibility into traffic from more than one device with the Cisco NAM Appliances:
• The NAM Appliances include more than one monitoring interface, which allow them to collect traffic from more than one device.
• The NAM Appliances can be used with a passive inline tap to monitor traffic from/between multiple devices.
• The LAN or WAN traffic from other devices can be directed to the NAM Appliances for analysis using RSPAN, ERSPAN, or NetFlow.

-Thanks

Vinod

Hi Vinod,
   Thanks for your answer but I still cannot find answers to my questions.

I am asking about the mechanism of calculating responses and identifying client and server.

Intelligent application performance (IAP) monitoring is a key feature that NAM provides: an ability to measure the response time of transactions between the client and server.

NAM monitors TCP packet flow between client and server and measures response time data to provide more visibility into application response times (ART) and network latency.

Following image will share more details :

NAM Application Response Time Measurements (It shows a representation of total transaction time as opposed to application response time)

Transaction Time versus Response Time Measurements (lists and describes the ART metrics measured by NAM)

As NAM can monitors the conversation and TCP packet flow between applications/Server and clients and from where it drives clients and servers.

-Thanks

Vinod

Dear All,

I am testing the new Cisco NAM 6.0 and I am triing to set up some Responce Time Results. I am using only one device Cisco 3825 as an Netflow Exporter  and all other Analyses looks fine expect Responce Time. What should be done/configured in order to have a Responce time Graf Results and so on.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: