Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus upgrade and impact prevision

Conrad Laus
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I’m opening this thread today because we are planning to upgrade some devices in our network.

We are planning to update two 3750 stacks and two Nexus core switches.

The goal of this case is to have your opinions and advice about the possible impacts of those updates.

Here is the current network topology :

upgrade_cisco_case.png

1 - The first step is to upgrade those 3750 stacks, beginning witch stack number 1.

About the wan connections, firewalls have rules configured as follow : If any of the links with WAN or 3750 stacks fails, failover is activated and standby firewall become active.

We expect a short network interruption (time during HA balance between firewalls) since updating 3750 stacks require a reload.

This is the first impact spotted, but which should be pretty quick (or even almost transparent depending of FW HA balance duration) as traffic will still flow through Nexus 1 via 3750 stack 2.

When updating 3750 stack 2, we expect no impact.

2 – The second step will be to update the nexus core switches. Firmwares have been uploaded, and the “show install all impact” issued.

The nexus core switches update will be disruptive since L3 features are enabled, so we also expect some impacts.

We will first update the nexus core switch 1 (and by extension the FEX 1 connected).

When the Nexus core 1 switch will reload (after the update), we expect short network interruptions since they have HSRP group configured.

The Nexus core 2 will transit from stand-by to active during this reload, and we expect traffic flowing through the 3750 stack 1

The Nexus core 2 switch and FEX2 updates should not impact us at all.

Beside of the HSRP state changes during Nexus reload, I did not spot any other impacts mainly thanks to the vPCs.

Could you please take a look at this scenario and warn me of any unidentified potential issues please ?

Thanks for helping !

Kind regards,

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Difficult to tell , as far as I can see you didn't include the nexus model (types) in your post. Also from which to which versions are you hopping to ? Carefully study release notes, for the  intended version you want to end up with. Sometimes intermediate  upgrades are needed on the nexus platform.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hello and thanks for your reply,

We are going to upgrade 4 nexus switches :

2* Nexus 5672UP :

Actual version : 7.3(3)N1(1)

Next version : 7.3(5)N1(1)

2* Nexus 5548 :

Actual version : 7.1(4)N1(1)

Next version : 7.3(5)N1(1)

From what i've saw, there is now issues about those versions upgrade.

It's mostly about vPCs mechanics, wich i'm not really used to work with.

- I found a link below which you may want to browse too :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/tech_note/vpc_upgrade.html

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hi
The only issue i could see here is any device thats not dual homed will take a hit at one stage but other than that your good to go , do an ISSU upgrade on the nexus switches using install all syntax as your in the list of compatible versions for both sets although to get the BIOS upgrade the switches will need to reboot on the 5548s anyway as the image is below 7.3.2 , the network looks to be well redundant even if something went wrong in one of the upgrades , 7.3.5 has a list of new bugs in the caveat section i would be aware of before doing the jump just in case
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: