Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No logs found in Router

Hi ,

I am using a 2851 router in mpls network. We had a power shut down activity recently and post to that i could not find any logs in the router.  Can anyone help me out in trouble shooting this issue.

Regards

Raj

4 Replies 4

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Raj-

Unfortuantly when a router is rebooted all the logs are deleted. The easist way to alleviate that issue is to send the events to syslog.

Hi Collin,

Thnaks for the replly.This is not about the old logs but about the logs for present since the router reeboted many a times there were interface up/down logs are supposed to be found which were actually not found. There are no changes in configuration but i am not able to find any logs.

Unless configured, router doesn't log.

Raj

Can you verify that before the power outage the router was producing logs?

Can you also verify that the router is running the same version of IOS now as before the power outage? I have seen situations where an IOS had been added to flash or an IOS had been removed from flash and after a power cycle the router was running a different IOS and some behaviors might have changed.

It wold help if we could be sure of how the router is configured for logging. Can you post the output of the command

show run | include log

And there might be some helpful information if you would post the output of show log

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick