cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Tracer DHCP server not assigning starting IP or default gateway

davehouser1
Level 1
Level 1

I am running the latest Packet Tracer 8.0.1.0064 for Windows 64 bit.

After setting up DHCP on a server and turning on the service, I enabled DHCP on a host connected to the same network. DHCP is requested and given to the host.

The problem the DHCP server ignores my configuration for Start IP address and default gateway. No matter what I try the first IP of the subnet will be assigned and no default gateway is provided.

Is this a bug? 

packetTracerdhcpproblem.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If my trick does not work; then your PC IP comes from default serverPool (your 2nd entry).   you can see 0.0.0.0 but this is not true.  the IP actually comes from server interface.  Click on default serverPool once and click on Save to see changes.  if you click on that pool to edit it, you notice Start IP changes to whatever you have set up on server interface.  you can change default serverPool to some other IP range, then re-do ipconfig on PC. Or you can use default serverPool for your PC (remove or change data pool).  If you have 2 pools from same IP range (like from 10.0.0.0/24), then I think default serverPool wins! 

you can attach your PT file here but it must be in a zip format. If I find my example, i will attach here.

This is PT fault in set up; not yours or mine.  it just the way PT works. 

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Martin L
VIP
VIP

this happened to me when PC got IP early before my changes to dhcp server side. Make your changes on server side and save dhcp settings; then go back to PC and renew ipconfig via cmd or click on static then dynamic IP on PC tab.

Regards, ML

@Martin L I have tried this, does not fix the issue. What version are you running on which OS? Did you try this recently? Are you not seeing this issue at all when trying to recreate?

If my trick does not work; then your PC IP comes from default serverPool (your 2nd entry).   you can see 0.0.0.0 but this is not true.  the IP actually comes from server interface.  Click on default serverPool once and click on Save to see changes.  if you click on that pool to edit it, you notice Start IP changes to whatever you have set up on server interface.  you can change default serverPool to some other IP range, then re-do ipconfig on PC. Or you can use default serverPool for your PC (remove or change data pool).  If you have 2 pools from same IP range (like from 10.0.0.0/24), then I think default serverPool wins! 

you can attach your PT file here but it must be in a zip format. If I find my example, i will attach here.

This is PT fault in set up; not yours or mine.  it just the way PT works. 

Regards, ML

UGH, that was it. That was miserably confusing. The problem was I configured the pool first, then configured the IP second. Should have done it the other way around. 
SO for anyone else that runs into this same issue do the following:

1. Configure your DHCP server's IP FIRST!
  2. Then wehn you go to Services > DHCP you will notice the default serverPool will resemble the IP you chose. 
  3. Now you can add a new pool.

If you added your your pool first then configured an IP you will need to do the following:

1. You configured your DHCP pool first in the DHCP server
  2. You then configured your DCHP server's IP
  3. Now go back to the pool, you will notice that the "serverPool" has taken over the IP range and used the IP you chose. Adjust or change serverPool to not get in the way.

This seems to be automatic behavior to build your pools based on the IP address you configured for your DHCP server.

Hello,

I am a beginner and did my first server configuration today but for the DHCP, I used static configuration whereby I gave random addresses to the IPv4, default gateway and the DNS as seen on an example online.

Whenever I tried to use the DHCP automatically, the default gateway and the DNS addresses are always 0.0.0.0 and this doesn't let me ping my server host or access the host name from the web browser.

Hello Martin L et al.

@Martin L 

Hello,

can you post the zipped Packet Tracer project (.pkt) file ? There is a bug in the Packet Tracer DHCP pool configuration: you need to exclude the IP address assigned to the respective interface (starting IP address range should start at the next higher address), otherwise Packet Tracer assigns that address to a client...

Thanks for your concern,

Just drag a server to a fresh workspace, click on the server, go to IP configuration to see what I'm talking about.

Hello,

I am not following. Where is the server supposed to get its DHCP from ? Post your project file or some screenshots...

Hello sir,

I said just drag only a server to your workspace and check the IP configuration: the default gateway and the DNS addresses are 0.0.0.0 except one chooses static and inputs the addresses himself.

You don't need my .pkt file to test what I just said. You can do it on your workspace to see

XXXCEO
Level 1
Level 1

Haven't you configured a server before?

Hello.

the attached screenshot is what I see when I configure a new server. No 0.0.0.0 in any field. It is empty because there is no DHCP server around anywhere. Post a screenshot that shows all zeros.