cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PI 3.2 Showing 3850 as WLCs. How do I stop that?

Ric Hernandez
Level 1
Level 1

I upgraded our PI 3.1 UCS appliance to 3.2 yesterday from 3.1.6.  This morning, it told me I had exceeded my license count.  As I started investigating, I noticed it added most, if not all, of my 3850 switches as wireless controllers.  Can anyone tell me how I can have PI 3.2 not classify those as WLCs and just as switches?

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12606716/disable-3850-integrated-wireless

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thanks, but that doesn't really help.  Our 3850's are used as Access Layer switches on our floors.  We do NOT have them set up as controllers.  However, the default mode is Wireless Mobility Agent and that cannot be turned off.  We want to monitor the switches as switches, but PI lists them both as Switches and WLC's.  After upgrading my PI appliance from 3.1.6, the 3850's are chewing up 299 license tokens which puts me over my limit of 169.  I did not see this when I was running 3.1.6.  I'm trying to figure out if, by having the 3850's show up as both Switches and WLCs, I'm running into this license issue.  Cisco License dept. has been slow responding to me.

Regarding the licensing issue:

1. Upgrading pre PI3.1.2 --> post Pi3.1.3 licensing is switched from devices to tokens, but grandfatheres licenses are generated. That means before update, you have i.e 36 free/unused device licenses, afterwards you will have 36 free/unused tokens - the diff tokens for your already managed devices will be filled up by prime with these "grandfathered" licenses.

2. WLCs do not consume any tokens

You can check your token consumption in the licensing dashboard under "Administration"

HTH

The way Cisco TAC explained it to me is if you had 2.2 licenses and upgraded from 3.x to 3.2, they would be grandfathered in.  If you had 3.0 licenses, they would not be grandfathered in and you have to buy additional tokens to make up the shortfall.  We had 3.0 licenses.

Okay, no grandfathering in this case, but there should not be a shortfall since WLCs do not consume any tokens.