cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Utilization Alert using MiniRmon !!

aringanisation
Level 1
Level 1

I want to monitor some ports of some devices using minirmon but it seems that when you want to setup alarms

there is no alarm variable for port utilization, it is really important for me to monitor those ports and sending traps

when the utilization goes higher than a threshold .

when you monitor the selected ports one options is port utilization but it has not its propper alarm variable

but you can use MIB variable and dont think we have MIB for port utilization !!!

it is very appreciated if some one help me if there is a MIB or other way to monitor a port utilization .

thank you

3 Replies 3

Thomas Masters
Level 1
Level 1

Hopefully this will give you an idea:

Here is another example for interface utilization stuff:

The only way to do this is to either poll the ifInOctets (ifEntry.10) or ifOutOctets (ifEntry.16) for an interface that you are interested.

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/mibs/oid/RFC1213-MIB.oid

However, you need to use your SNMP tool (such as HP OV or UCD NET-SNMP  tool) to find out what is the interface index by:

snmpwalk your_router_ip community ifDescr

Here is an example:

snmpwalk 14.32.3.2 public ifDescr
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.1 = "Ethernet0/0"
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.2 = "Serial0/0"
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.3 = "Ethernet0/1"
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.4 = "Serial0/1"
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.5 = "Serial3/0"
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.6 = "Serial3/1"
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.7 = "Serial3/2"
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.8 = "Serial3/3"
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.9 = "Serial3/4"
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.10 = "Serial3/5"
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.11 = "Serial3/6"
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.12 = "Serial3/7"
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.13 = "Null0"
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.15 = "Loopback99"
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.16 = "Serial0/1.16"

If I am concerned about my "Ethernet0/1" which has index 3. I am polling  every 60 seconds on a 10M Bit/S Ethernet link. 10% means 60 * (0.1 * 10,000,000)/8  =  7,500,000 in terms of ifInOctets over a 60 seconds interval, then  I will configure the alarms as below:

config t
snmp-server community public ro
snmp-server enable traps snmp
snmp-server host 172.17.194.38 public (this is to tell where is my trapd  listener which is my HP OV box)
rmon event 1 log trap public description "Ethernet utlization is more than  10%" owner eugene
rmon event 2 log trap public description "Ethernet utlization is below 5%"  owner eugene
rmon alarm 1 ifEntry.10.3 60 delta rising-threshold 7500000 1 falling-threshold  3750000 2 owner eugene

If you also want to monitor ifOutOctets, then add this line in the config:

rmon alarm 1 ifEntry.16.3 60 delta rising-threshold 7500000 1 falling-threshold  3750000 2 owner eugene

Remember this is per interface. You will have to add each interface, such  as "Ethernet0/0" which has index 1:

rmon alarm 1 ifEntry.10.1 60 delta rising-threshold 7500000 1 falling-threshold  3750000 2 owner eugene
rmon alarm 1 ifEntry.16.1 60 delta rising-threshold 7500000 1 falling-threshold  3750000 2 owner eugene

thank you Thomas for your complete answer and explanation;

1- the ftp you addressed needs username and password and I dont know them

2- I need to have these configurations for LMS,  LMS miniRmon or DFM !!!

is there any solution  ? or I just have to configure the device to send traps ??

thank you

The cisco.com ftp site should be accessible using your cisco.com login credentials. Some services, such as access to published MIBs, are free to all registered users.

The commands Thomas posted are for the IOS device.

Besides making the device send traps (and needing to have your management system display or otherwise take action), you can alternatively just setup LMS (assuming version 4.1) to monitor the device and make the threshold what you desire. (Pre-LMS 4.x versions require the optional HUIM component to be licensed.) See the "Monitor Performance" section in this document for a quick start guide or the LMS documentation for more details. (Specifically Chapter 4 of Monitoring and Troubleshooting guide.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: