cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Power supply logs identification

rakuten02
Level 1
Level 1

Recently, there are power supply failure logs in my Cisco switch.

%PLATFORM_ENV-1-FRU_PS_ACCESS: FRU Power Supply is not responding
%PLATFORM_ENV-1-FRU_PS_SIGNAL_FAULTY: POWER_GOOD signal on power supply 1 is faulty
%PLATFORM_ENV-1-FRU_PS_SIGNAL_OK: POWER_GOOD signal on power supply 1 is restored

I assumed it would be the power supply on the right as the logs indicated "power supply 1".

show inventory shows this:

NAME: "Power Supply 0", DESCR: "FRU Power Supply"
PID: C3KX-PWR-350WAC , VID: V02 , SN: xxx
NAME: "Power Supply 1", DESCR: "FRU Power Supply"
PID: C3KX-PWR-350WAC , VID: V03 , SN: xxx

show env power:

SW PID Serial# Status Sys Pwr PoE Pwr Watts
-- ------------------ ---------- --------------- ------- ------- -----
1A C3KX-PWR-350WAC xxx OK Good Good 350/0
1B C3KX-PWR-350WAC xxx OK Good Good 350/0

However, when I swapped the power supply on the right with a new one, the logs showed the following:

%PLATFORM_ENV-1-FRU_PS_SIGNAL_FAULTY: POWER_GOOD signal on power supply 2 is faulty
%PLATFORM_ENV-6-FRU_PS_OIR: FRU Power Supply 2 removed
%PLATFORM_ENV-6-FRU_PS_OIR: FRU Power Supply 2 inserted
%PLATFORM_ENV-1-FRU_PS_SIGNAL_FAULTY: POWER_GOOD signal on power supply 2 is faulty
%PLATFORM_ENV-1-FRU_PS_SIGNAL_OK: POWER_GOOD signal on power supply 2 is restored

I am confused, why does the log show "power supply 2?"

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@rakuten02 wrote:
%PLATFORM_ENV-1-FRU_PS_ACCESS: FRU Power Supply is not responding
%PLATFORM_ENV-1-FRU_PS_SIGNAL_FAULTY: POWER_GOOD signal on power supply 1 is faulty

Power feed to the PS has "stopped".  

Potentially, the PS has "failed". 

@rakuten02 wrote:
%PLATFORM_ENV-1-FRU_PS_SIGNAL_OK: POWER_GOOD signal on power supply 1 is restored

Power feed to the PS has been restored.

Yes, power supply self-recovered, but the identification of whether power supply 1 is the left or right power supply is the issue. It seems to not match show inventory naming too.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Because the messages refer to the second power supply , anyway have a look at the back on the switch and verify the power supplies physically by looking at the green status led(s)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Just to clarify, power supply 1 refers to the first (leftmost) power supply, and power supply 2 refers to the second (rightmost) power supply?

Strangely, show inventory labels it as power supply 0 and power supply 1.

The power supply recovered, hence the LED is green. But we are asked to replace the power supply as a precautionary measure.

>....But we are asked to replace the power supply as a precautionary measure.

- If you have 2 green, then pull cord of one and the other but obviously not together, then check logs and identify which is being reported as '2'.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello,

confusing indeed. You have power supply 0, 1, and 2...doesn't make sense. What platform is this (switch model) ?

it is a 3560 switch.

Hello,

just to make sure this is not a bug, I did a search and found the below:

3560: FRU Power Supply is not responding
CSCti04772

Symptom:
Suddenly, the following messages are shown.

Mar 27 00:31:35.978 JST: %PLATFORM_ENV-1-FRU_PS_ACCESS: FRU Power Supply is not responding
Mar 27 00:31:38.998 JST: %PLATFORM_ENV-6-FRU_PS_OIR: FRU Power Supply inserted

Condition:
WS-C3560E-12D with two C3K-PWR-300WAC as redundant.

Workaround:
There is no workaround.