Helpful
Replies

Prime Infrastructure - Question about licensing count

oliv Parcell
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am having some question around Prime Infrastructure

1- Does a general document exists regarding the licensing count of monitored devices ?

Indeed I am wondering about the specific points. Is it true that :

- A 3750 stack unit count as one (for example a 4 units stack consumes 4 license)  ? 

- A WLC (except 5500) does not consume a license but only the Lightweight APs.

- An autonomous AP does not consumes a Lifecycle licence ?

Thanks for any clarification.

Oliv.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This is the description of license counting in Prime Infrastructure:

A device is uniquely identified through the assigned IP address and system object ID (SysOid) combination. Routers, switches, and lightweight/unified APs are counted against the license count. If a switch stack is managed through a single IP address, then it counts as only one device.  A single chassis will, however, be counted as multiple devices if the chassis is configured with multiple IP addresses. For example, a switch with multiple service cards, such as a firewall, and so on, or a stackable switch that has an IP address assigned to each switch that participates in the stack will be treated as multiple devices within Cisco Prime Infrastructure. Cisco NAMs, Cisco Wireless LAN Controllers (WLCs), autonomous APs, and third party devices are not counted against the license count.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

Below is the link which provides you the Licensing information in deep detail. Please go through.

http://http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6504/ps6528/ps12239/guide_c07-714720.html

Hello Ravi,

Thank you very much for you answer, but the link does contain the license count detail per device that I am searching.

For example, I would need to know how many licences a WLC consumes. The same for a 3750 4-units stack, for an autonomous AP and so on ...

Thank you.

Best regards.

Oliv

This is the description of license counting in Prime Infrastructure:

A device is uniquely identified through the assigned IP address and system object ID (SysOid) combination. Routers, switches, and lightweight/unified APs are counted against the license count. If a switch stack is managed through a single IP address, then it counts as only one device.  A single chassis will, however, be counted as multiple devices if the chassis is configured with multiple IP addresses. For example, a switch with multiple service cards, such as a firewall, and so on, or a stackable switch that has an IP address assigned to each switch that participates in the stack will be treated as multiple devices within Cisco Prime Infrastructure. Cisco NAMs, Cisco Wireless LAN Controllers (WLCs), autonomous APs, and third party devices are not counted against the license count.

I have a customer with Prime Infrastructure 3.2.  It has been patched to 3.2.2 Update 04 and the Device Pack 4 is installed.

It is licensed for 308 devices (tokens?).  Today some more additional unified APs were added to the 5520 WLC it is managing and a license violation occurred.  We have 28 catalyst 3650 or 3850 stacks of varying sizes - some are individual switches and some have 8 stack members.  If I look on the Prime Licensing Dashboard it appears that each switch is taking a license 'token' - i.e. there are 24 catalyst 3650 stacks or standalone switches (License_GrandFather_DeviceCount=24), however the 'LicenseGrandfather_TokenCount' is 71 which is the actual number of physical catalyst 3650's there are.

Is this the correct behaviour or is it counting them wrong?

license.jpg

Just found this on CCO - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/3-2/admin/guide/bk_CiscoPrimeInfastructure_3_2_AdminGuide/bk_CiscoPrimeInfastructure_3_2_AdminGuide_chapter_01.html

Seems to indicate that each switch in a stack will consume one token therefore additional licenses are required...

Hi Andrew,

Bit late maybe, I found your post while looking for this...   

Q:7 Is there any change in license consumption for switch stack in Prime Infrastructure 3.x?

Yes. Starting from PI 3.1.3, the licensing required for managing switch stacks has been changed and each switch in the stack will consume a license.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-documents/cisco-prime-infrastructure-faq/ta-p/3149669 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: