Views
Helpful
Replies

PRTG Traffic sensor behavior

a.abdulbaqi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have an issue on interface bandwidth traffic monitor on cisco nexus 9000 from PRTG , live traffic looks unstable , there is spikes and drop on traffic , is there any suggestion please ?

aabdulbaqi_0-1695551322582.png

device name

cisco Nexus9000 C9396PX Chassis

version

Software
BIOS: version 07.66
NXOS: version 9.3(3)

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

NMS (PRTG) only graphs based on the information provided by SNMP output.

other side you can also track the information and co-relate that is this correct ?

If you see the concern related no data in short span - then we need to validate connectivity between nexus and PRTG not lost ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

a.abdulbaqi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

the concern is on this

aabdulbaqi_0-1695553058619.png

it is realy confusing to get the real current traffic utilization value .

that is expected, depends on the traffic.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cannot say for sure, as information is insufficient, but your graph appears like a stereotypical TCP sawtooth.  Any interface drops?

a.abdulbaqi
Level 1
Level 1

no drop on interface and no packet loss , traffic flow is fine , the issue only on PRTG readings

Just to confirm, there's no packet loss, at all, end to end, source to destination.

BTW, I haven't studied it, but some of the later TCP variants, I believe, watch for sudden jumps in latency, which often indicates congestion.  When such a TCP variant believes there's congestion, it could go into congestion avoidance.  I.e. basically, and possibly, the same effect as if classical TCP notes a packet drop.  This might account for the classical TCP saw tooth throughput graph even without drop.

Also, similar to my prior reply, drops and/or congestion delay need not be happening on the device whose stats you're recording.  Anywhere along the path would cause the flow rate to vary as seen.

If what I've described is happening, it would take a bit of work to demonstrate that's the actual cause.  However, an alternative approach, would be to determine if PTRG has some "issue".  If you use a non-TCP bandwidth test tool, saturate your monitored port(s) at a rate 5 to 10% above capacity.  Then see if PTRG shows a "flatline" rate.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card