Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about RTS/CTS

wmfdlsk1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a qeustion about RTS/CTS packet.

before asking, there are 5 clients and 3AP.

Clients roam around and communicate with multiple APs.

Example)

When the wireless communication is working properly, Client1 sent RTS packet to AP. and also AP sent CTS packet to client 1.

but when the communication is disconnected, suddenly AP sent RTS packet to Client1. but Client didn't any respond to AP. A CTS signal is generated in the log, but it is not confirmed whether it is from the client 1.

In this case, 

1. Which part should I suspect?

2. Why did the AP suddenly send an RTS packet?

3.with this information, I think the wireless communication disconnected because Client1 didn't send a CTS packet to the AP. Am i right?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @wmfdlsk1,

The AP sending an RTS packet to Client1 suggests that the AP wants to initiate a data transfer or establish a connection with Client1. The AP may have detected that Client1 was in its range and attempted to communicate with it by sending the RTS packet.

The CTS packet is sent by the client to acknowledge the RTS packet and to notify other devices in the network to avoid transmitting during that time. However, if Client1 did not respond with a CTS packet, it could indicate a problem with Client1's ability to receive and respond to the RTS packet or a potential issue with its wireless connection.

Check logs and diagnostic information from both Client1 and the AP to gather more details about the issue.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @wmfdlsk1,

The AP sending an RTS packet to Client1 suggests that the AP wants to initiate a data transfer or establish a connection with Client1. The AP may have detected that Client1 was in its range and attempted to communicate with it by sending the RTS packet.

The CTS packet is sent by the client to acknowledge the RTS packet and to notify other devices in the network to avoid transmitting during that time. However, if Client1 did not respond with a CTS packet, it could indicate a problem with Client1's ability to receive and respond to the RTS packet or a potential issue with its wireless connection.

Check logs and diagnostic information from both Client1 and the AP to gather more details about the issue.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.