Views
Helpful
Replies

restoring backup after Cisco Prime v4.1 to v4.2 upgrade, error in the log

abelliu86
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to restore backup after upgrading Cisco Prime v4.1 to v4.2. However, getting the following error in the log

com.cisco.nm.dcr.udm.exception.UDMException: CSTM Error Code [-20] CSTM Comm Type [0] - Error in sending/writing request to server , Binary mode Connection refused: connect

at com.cisco.nm.dcr.DCRProxy.getUDMDevice(DCRProxy.java:3056)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.util.rmedaa.RMEDeviceContext.populateForNonCiscoDevice(RMEDeviceContext.java:2090)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.util.rmedaa.RMEDCFactory.createDC(RMEDCFactory.java:423)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.migration.TechnologyDataMigrator.updateTechnologiesForDevice(TechnologyDataMigrator.java:163)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.migration.TechnologyDataMigrator.updateTechnologiesForAllDevices(TechnologyDataMigrator.java:147)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.migration.TechnologyDataMigrator.doRestore(TechnologyDataMigrator.java:235)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.migration.TechnologyDataMigrator.doMigration(TechnologyDataMigrator.java:119)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.migration.MigrMain.callAppDoMigration(MigrMain.java:407)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.migration.MigrMain.main(MigrMain.java:596)

com.cisco.nm.dcr.DCRException: CSTM Error Code [-20] CSTM Comm Type [0] - Error in sending/writing request to server , Binary mode Connection refused: connect

at com.cisco.nm.dcr.DCRProxy.invokeUDMViaCSTM(DCRProxy.java:3189)

at com.cisco.nm.dcr.DCRProxy.getUDMDevice(DCRProxy.java:3049)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.util.rmedaa.RMEDeviceContext.populateForNonCiscoDevice(RMEDeviceContext.java:2090)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.util.rmedaa.RMEDCFactory.createDC(RMEDCFactory.java:423)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.migration.TechnologyDataMigrator.updateTechnologiesForDevice(TechnologyDataMigrator.java:163)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.migration.TechnologyDataMigrator.updateTechnologiesForAllDevices(TechnologyDataMigrator.java:147)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.migration.TechnologyDataMigrator.doRestore(TechnologyDataMigrator.java:235)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.migration.TechnologyDataMigrator.doMigration(TechnologyDataMigrator.java:119)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.migration.MigrMain.callAppDoMigration(MigrMain.java:407)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.migration.MigrMain.main(MigrMain.java:596)

The log shows the error is a continuous one and affraid it may be a loop. Currently my restore progress is stuck at 70%RME restoration. I've attached logs for reference.

doRestore of [Resource Manager Essentials] has started.

10% of RME  Restore completed

30% of RME  Restore completed

50% of RME  Restore completed

70% of RME  Restore completed

Can anyone advice what i should do next? Should i continue to wait? Is the error critical?

Thanks alot.

2 Replies 2

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Did you upgraded the existing LMS 4.1 to 4.2 or made a new LMS 4.2 server? Does the new LMS 4.2 server has IP/Hostname configured properly.

CSTM attempts to determine if a request is a local request by looking up the hostname of the server, and obtaining all of the associated IP addresses with that hostname.  The second method to determine locality is the same as previously mentioned, but starts with 127.0.0.1, gets the associated hostname (usually localhost), then looks up localhost to get all the associated IPs.

So if you are using the a multihomed server, or virtual IP addresses, this might break the operation in DCR. Also if the hostname is not configured correctly in LMS, the same problem will occur.

To fix these break points, you need to make sure that all IP addresses being used on the server are pointing to its hostname, you need to add them to the /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1       localhost

10.230.150.200  x0669e00        x0669e00.bk.datev.de

x.x.x.x          x0669e00

Also, LMS has several places where it stores the servers hostname , you can make sure that LMS is using the correct hostname by using the script:

NMSROOT/bin/perl NMSROOT/bin/hostnamechange.pl -ohost Old_Hostname -nhost New_Hostname -domain Domain

where,

Old_ Hostname -Old Hostname of the CiscoWorks Server (the incorrect x0669) New_Hostname -New Hostname of the CiscoWorks Server (x0669e00) Domain -Domain name of the CiscoWorks Server. Entering domain name is optional.

Please make sure that you go through all the prerequisites and steps required to run this script which are mentioned here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.0/user/guide/admin/appendixcli.html#wp1041971

Thank you.

Vinod

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Michel Pedersen
Level 1
Level 1

I experienced a similair problem when upgrading my LMS 4.1 system to LMS 4.2. This was on a soft appliance where the LMS 4.2 installation was a new clean install where I wanted to restore the backup from my old LMS 4.1.

Just like you it stopped at 70% on RME restore and I got the same "loop" in the log like you did.

In my case however I resolved it by just running the restore once again after the first one had failed (no changes made to the system). I still got the "loop" in the restore log but this time the restore continued and successfully completed both the RME restore and all remaining parts of the installation.

Just my two cents but it might be worth a try for you too if you're still having this problem.

-Michel

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card