Views
Helpful
Replies

RME Automated Action Set

arifkhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Any body can help me to know the best practices of setting up automated action sets in RME syslog (Ciscoworks LMS 2.5.x), What I mean to say is any suggested pre-defined action sets must be setup in order to get alerted (by email/sms etc) when ever the event happend. we are using several series of switches, like 6500, 3760, 3650, 3550, 3500 etc and routers series 3700, 2800, 1800,1700 etc.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There really is no best practice. It is up to you and your organization to determine what events you are about. For example, if you use OSPF heavily as an IGP, you might want to look for %OSPF-5-ADJCHG syslog messages to indicate a neighbor state change.

There is no limit to what messages can be tied to an automated action. You should group together interesting messages in a way that makes sense to you, then build an appropriate action (e.g. email).

You may need to baseline your syslog message traffic for a while (i.e. what messages do you see when problems occur) to figure out which messages are really interesting. You want to try and manage by exception so that you do not overwhelm those receiving the notifications. You might also want to establish a catch-all-critical rule that says any messages with a severity of 2 or lower is automatically sent as an email. But no matter which approach you take, be aware that you may be constantly refining your AAs as your network changes. What you really want to avoid is flooding people with false positive messages since that can make them deaf to real problems.

hi jclarke,

Thanks for your reply, you are right I have to do all those stuff again, what I mean is I was having ciscoworks 2.5.x and configured properly to get my intresting automated action. But unfortunaly I have fource to format my machine due to harddisk partition space. Now I have 120 GB size and installed every thing back except automated action sets.

I had taken fullback of my previous machine, is their any file which can bring back all my automated action sets.

Best Regards,

If you had a backup, and you did a restore, the automated actions should all be back. They are stored in the rmeng database.

Hi jclarke,

Yes I have checked in my backup and found the directory which you have mentioned.

Which file in that directory has to be restore in order to get only automated action sets and what procedure.

I don't want to restore complete system as it was having some issues not related to the question I asked.

Thanks again,

When you say system, are you referring to the entire operating system, or the entire CiscoWorks suite? If you do not have a CiscoWorks backup, then there is no way to restore your AAs. You cannot simply copy files into an active location.

It is highly recommend you backup CiscoWorks with the built-in backup system only. Once you have the backup created, you can then include this backup directory in your OS backups.

Hi jclarke,

I have both backups "full with system OS" and built-in backup from ciscoworks (two months old but having all the AAs).

my requirement is only to restore Automated action sets. So, how I can restore from any of the above backups. Any suggestion...

You cannot do this. You must restore the entire CiscoWorks backup including all applications.

Hi jclarke,

Thanks for all of your help, Its seams It will be better for me to do manually as I don't want to restore complete backup.

Jclarke, once again thanks for all of your help.

Best regards,

Arif

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: