cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RME - Failed Running Configuration

lwhalley
Level 1
Level 1

On Configuration Management, Archive Status -- I am showing "Failed" on a handful of devices in the Failed Running Configuration Devices Summary with the following error:

Telnet: Failed to get the begin in Configuration file TFTP: PGM_NM=Configuration Archive:6723:TYPE=unassigned message type::SNMP general error, Snmp operation failed Ssh: Failed to initiate ssh session: Cannot create ssh session to hostname

The attributes are all showing OK. It seems like a lot of the devices on the list may work one time and then not the next time. Sometimes I can try the individual device again and it will be "successful". Some never seem to work - I'm still investigating those to see if I can find anything in the switch configuration that may be causing those problems.

I'm curious whether anyone knows what causes this intermittent failure. Does it have to do with traffic/timeout issues or a bug? Is there anyplace that lists what the different errors may be on this report? Some are obvious, like invalid password, but this one isn't. I'm running RME 3.5 with the IDU 9.0.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

8 Replies 8

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

Try installing IDU11 for RME 3.5 to see if that helps

Thanks. I am hoping that will help, but it may be a month or so before we are allowed to do intall it - they are testing it now for deployement in our network. So, I was trying to figure out if there were any other answers at this point.

jgizel
Level 1
Level 1

I can tell you that I have the exact same problem. I've upgraded to RME3.4 and IDU 11 and that did not resolve the problem.

Thanks for this info.

One thing that I found is that if I continued to try to retry/update the archive status for the devices that had failed that the device configurations would eventually get archived successfully. That only really seemed to work if I did this during non-peak network periods and only tried a few devices at a time. That certainly is not a good solution at all for a large network.

We have similar problems w/ the c6509. FYI, we're running RME v3.5 w/ IDU 11 and the device attributes for the SNMP Read & Write strings are OK, but we get the exact same error message:

""ADC-6500-CD01","19 Mar 2005 14:12:28 CST","Tftp:PGM_NM=Configuration Archive:6711:TYPE=unassigned message type::Incomplete TFTP operation . Telnet: No telnet passwords in RME database Ssh: No username and passwords in RME database""

I've retried to update the archive many times, but it always fails (the Hardware Inventory works fine).

Also, I've tweaked the SNMP System Configuration, but it has not had any affect.

I have two 6500 series that I am still having problems with. I have heard through some co-workers that there is a bug in earlier images of the 6500 seris that relates to the telnet attributes and that an upgrade to a later version may resolve that particular issue. So, you may want to open a TAC case and see what they recommend. Mine are earlier ones that only have 64MB memory. I'm going to open a TAC and see if there is an image version that will resolve the issue on those particular ones. I'm not having the same problem with other 6500 series that have been purchased recently.

Hope this info helps.

Did you ever resolve this? I have the same issue where it will work if i only try to archive them a few at a time.

I'm not sure, but I think I changed the Transport Protocol order so that Telnet was first and TFTP was second. I think the default was for TFTP to be first. Let me know whether this works.