cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SCP IOS Image Upgrades in Prime Infrastructure 2.1 Failing

rowansakul
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I'm running PI 2.1 with all the latest patches and packs but I can't get SCP Image transfers to work.

When I check the suggested logs from the Jobs Dashboard (and jump into the CLI root)  I see the following:
[SWITCH-DEVICE]=Switch Hostname
[SWITCH-ADMIN-LOGIN]=Level 15 username login to Switch, same username the is used in the Device Work Centre
[PRIME-INF-IP]=Prime Infrastructure Server

[SWITCH-DEVICE]#archive download-sw ............... archive download-sw /allow-feature-upgrade  

/overwrite scp://[SWITCH-ADMIN-LOGIN]@[PRIME-INF-IP]//localdisk/tftp/c3560-ipbaselmk9-tar.122-55.SE9.tar

Password:

Password:

% Authentication failed.

Could not buffer tarfile...using multiple downloads

examining image...

Password:

Password:

% Authentication failed.

%Error opening scp://[SWITCH-ADMIN-LOGIN]@[PRIME-INF-IP]//localdisk/tftp/c3560-ipbaselmk9-tar.122-55.SE9.tar (Permission denied)

%Error opening flash:update/info (No such file or directory)

ERROR: Image is not a valid IOS image archive.

[SWITCH-DEVICE]#

It looks like the switch is trying to log into the PI server and download the software as opposed to PI sending the software to the switch.

I've used WinSCP to open up the URL, but none of the passwords I know or created work.

Do I need to SSH into the PI box and create a new CLI account (or Root CLI account) that matches up to the switch [SWITCH-ADMIN-LOGIN]?

Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi rowansakul,

I didn't set specific permissions but put a 14 character password for the new user in root cli.

useradd [new user]

passwd [new user] 

Then applied the new user and password in the GUI as listed above.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

bkennedy97
Level 1
Level 1

Hi rowansakul,

The work around for this particular issue involves having a user set up in the root cli and then from the the GUI navigate to Administration > System Settings > Image Management and set up the SSH Username with your new user account that you created under root cli.  That is the credentials that Prime is looking for when it is attempting to access its own image repository.

Regards,

Brandon

Hi Brandon, thanks for the reply.

Just to confirm your interpretation of "root cli"...

• is that Prime Infrastructure CLI
  • or the RedHat OS underneath you can access by typing in "root" from the Prime Infrastructure CLI

Thanks

Hi rowansakul,

Yes that is in the OS itself that you create that user, essentially Prime Infrastructure has to authenticate to its OS to gain access to the image repository.  To date I've only had it be an issue with switches that use the "archive" command for SWIM distribution.  Hope this helps.

Regards,

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

That's exactly the problem I'm trying to solve. Does the new user need to have any special OS permissions. I don't speak Linux too well!

Regards,

Hi Brandon,

Would the following work?

# useradd -ou 0 -g 0 [USER-NAME]
# passwd [USER-NAME] [USER-PASS]

Hi rowansakul,

I didn't set specific permissions but put a 14 character password for the new user in root cli.

useradd [new user]

passwd [new user] 

Then applied the new user and password in the GUI as listed above.

Thanks Brandon, it's now all working as intended.

Love those undocumented procedures...

Cheers,

Rowan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco