cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Silly question about gateway

GFreenD
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here and as embarrassing as it is i got stuck on one little problem:

where i cant figure out how to deliver my gateway to a pc (its from router 2(the one with the loopback) to any other pc for example pc 4 
i encapsulated 193.219.10.1 as vlan for the right side and 82.135.10.1 for the left one 
i dont have dhcp and even tho it might solve this i need this to work on static 

the main problem in this that i cant wrap my head around is if its possible to put ip addres and vlan on router 1 without just putting vlan over it and then assigning ip address which i dont think even works on routers 

btw all of the switches are 3 layer 

all routing is fine as i can ping anyone except pc due to being unable to lead gateway to the pc 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @GFreenD ,

I see the attached image, but I can not understand what you need.

The vlan create diffusion domains, those that work in layer 2, so it is not possible to pass vlan through a router.

In your case, the gateway of the PCs can be configured in the nearest L3 switch or in the nearest router.

Routers create broadcast domains, which divide the networks, so you can not assign to a PC, as a gateway, an IP of a distant router.

Regards

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @GFreenD ,

I see the attached image, but I can not understand what you need.

The vlan create diffusion domains, those that work in layer 2, so it is not possible to pass vlan through a router.

In your case, the gateway of the PCs can be configured in the nearest L3 switch or in the nearest router.

Routers create broadcast domains, which divide the networks, so you can not assign to a PC, as a gateway, an IP of a distant router.

Regards

mhm i see just thought maybe there was a way to do this that i was not aware of seems like i will have to assign gateway in ether as you said l3 switch or next router

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card