cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP provisioning development question?

michael.whittle
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone tell me if it's possible to create entries i.e. sub-interfaces, tunnels etc. using SNMP on a Cisco router? I know you're able to modify current entries but I was wondering if it was possible to provision a whole bunch of circuits using SNMP. I'm looking at developing a few tools to do this and I was wondering if anyone has done anything like this or could point me in the right direction?

2 Replies 2

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

best way is to create a configlet and then use the CISCO-CONFIG-COPY-MIB to trigger a tftp download

the configlet will be merged with the running config

I've done quite a lot of reading up on this since my post and it seems that's the only way of doing this using SNMP. Most of the useful SNMP MIBS are read-only so I guess you could use that for checks and changing existing entries. For adding new configurations you are right to use SNMP to trigger a TFTP upload.

I think the best option if you were looking at developing a provisioning tool would be to use a library called Net::Telnet::Cisco. It's similar to the scripting language, 'Expect' but you have more control.

Thanks for the reply.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card