Views
Helpful
Replies

snmp-server host in switch

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

Folks

There is a concept which is not very clear to me. The below command will be used to send snmp message of switch to server like solarwind or whatsup. Without the command, snmp system still can work except traps, is this correct? the server ip address is 10.1.1.1. Thanks 

snmp-server host 10.1.1.1 version 3 priv XYZ

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

New IOS XE code much improvements. If the NMS Server polling to get device monitoring information that only required SNMP enabled with cummunity.

If you like to send traps to NMS only you need to configure as suggested below guide :

for reference :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/snmp/configuration/xe-16-6/snmp-xe-16-6-book/nm-snmp-cfg-snmp-support.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on the device IOS code as i remeber some codes are changing.

SNMP works as expected with out that command , that means i take you have configured SNMP Config.

snmp-server community XXX

snmp-server host 10.1.1.1 version 3 priv XYZ  (some IOS as i remember old 12.X  code traps will send automatically)

but some how we use to configure snmp-server enable traps XXXX

BB

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks. We have switch ios 16.x and 17. Some of them do not have command like "snmp-server host 10.1.1.1 ....", but its server Whatsupgold still can see these device like switch or router. so I think the command is not required for the server to retrieve snmp message from switch or router. the command is just for trapping snmp message from devices to the server. Not sure what i am talking about make sense. 

New IOS XE code much improvements. If the NMS Server polling to get device monitoring information that only required SNMP enabled with cummunity.

If you like to send traps to NMS only you need to configure as suggested below guide :

for reference :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/snmp/configuration/xe-16-6/snmp-xe-16-6-book/nm-snmp-cfg-snmp-support.html

BB

Leftz
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks balaji