Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP Traps for specific HSRP Groups

Kevin Brennan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Does anybody know if there is a way to disable SNMP traps being sent for specific HSRP groups?

In my scenario, I have a number of routers that have multiple HSRP groups defined. Two HSRP groups from each router are in a INIT state because the sub-interfaces that they are on are shutdown. (This is because they are not ready for production yet).

My problem is that my monitoring suite cannot distinguish between HSRP groups on a router - I can't tell it to ignore events for HSRP groups 1 and 2 but not to ignore events for groups 3 and 4. I can only tell it to ignore *all* HSRP events from a specific router. If I do this I may miss genunine events.

Removing the HSRP configuration from the disabled interfaces is not an option, nor is not sending HSRP traps from the routers.

I was hoping to find something like "no snmp trap hsrp" under the sub-if configuration or "no snmp-server enable traps hsrp group X" in global config, but no such luck. The IOS's are 12.4.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, this is not possible.  If you were running 15.x, you could use the Embedded Event Manager to intercept the outgoing trap and drop it.