Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMPD Service Crash on N7710

kekkophone
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Cisco Community,

I hope this email finds you well. I am reaching out to the community seeking assistance with a critical issue I've encountered in one of the virtual contexts on my Cisco Nexus 7710.

Problem Description

For the past few days, one of the three virtual contexts on my Cisco 7710 has been experiencing SNMP communication failures with our monitoring system. The system log indicates the following error:

%SYSMGR-2-SERVICE_CRASHED: Service "snmpd" (PID XXXXX) hasn't caught signal 11 (core will be saved).​

I attempted to resolve the issue by reapplying the configuration that was in place before the problem arose. Strangely, this solution worked for about 10 minutes, after which the SNMP service stopped working again, generating the same error in the log (albeit with a different PID).

System Information

• Cisco Nexus 7710
  • Three virtual contexts
  • OS version: 6.2.(10)

Bug Report

I researched the issue and found a relevant bug report (CSCup89391) on Cisco's Bug Search Tool, indicating a common problem with OS version 6.2.(8). Bug Report Link

Question

In light of the above, I am seeking guidance on whether it is possible to restart the SNMP service selectively on a virtual context. If so, could you please provide instructions on how to do so?

Your prompt assistance in resolving this matter would be highly appreciated as it is impacting our network monitoring capabilities.

Thank you for your time and support.

Best regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I am not sure what 'restarting' the SNMP service in your situation means, but you can certainly disable/enable the SNMP protocol in context mode (I don't know if that also restarts the SNMP service, but in theory, it should):

Nexus7710#switchto vdc CONTEXT3
Nexus7710-CONTEXT3#config t
Nexus7710-CONTEXT3(config)#no snmp-server protocol enable
Nexus7710-CONTEXT3(config)#snmp-server protocol enable

You could also configure an EEM script such as the one below (in the applicable context of course):

Nexus7710-CONTEXT3(config)#event manager applet SNMP_STOP_START
Nexus7710-CONTEXT3(config-applet)#event syslog pattern "%SYSMGR-2-SERVICE_CRASHED: Service "snmpd" (PID XXXXX) hasn't caught signal 11 (core will be saved)​"
Nexus7710-CONTEXT3(config-applet)#action 1.0 cli "enable"
Nexus7710-CONTEXT3(config-applet)#action 2.0 cli "conf t"
Nexus7710-CONTEXT3(config-applet)#action 3.0 cli "no snmp-server protocol enable"
Nexus7710-CONTEXT3(config-applet)#action 4.0 cli "snmp-server protocol enable"
Nexus7710-CONTEXT3(config-applet)#end

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello,

I am not sure what 'restarting' the SNMP service in your situation means, but you can certainly disable/enable the SNMP protocol in context mode (I don't know if that also restarts the SNMP service, but in theory, it should):

Nexus7710#switchto vdc CONTEXT3
Nexus7710-CONTEXT3#config t
Nexus7710-CONTEXT3(config)#no snmp-server protocol enable
Nexus7710-CONTEXT3(config)#snmp-server protocol enable

You could also configure an EEM script such as the one below (in the applicable context of course):

Nexus7710-CONTEXT3(config)#event manager applet SNMP_STOP_START
Nexus7710-CONTEXT3(config-applet)#event syslog pattern "%SYSMGR-2-SERVICE_CRASHED: Service "snmpd" (PID XXXXX) hasn't caught signal 11 (core will be saved)​"
Nexus7710-CONTEXT3(config-applet)#action 1.0 cli "enable"
Nexus7710-CONTEXT3(config-applet)#action 2.0 cli "conf t"
Nexus7710-CONTEXT3(config-applet)#action 3.0 cli "no snmp-server protocol enable"
Nexus7710-CONTEXT3(config-applet)#action 4.0 cli "snmp-server protocol enable"
Nexus7710-CONTEXT3(config-applet)#end

Hi Georg,

All good on our end! Your instructions worked like a charm, and now the service is back on track.

Just a quick heads-up: we've noticed that once the service is re-enabled, it's necessary to reintroduce the SNMP configuration on the virtual context. We're working on that, so everything should be sorted out soon.

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Talk to you soon,

kekkophone

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card