Views
Helpful
Replies

Solarwinds

unraveller
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a cisco prime appliance running on v2.2. recently we purchase solarwinds and we wish to use solarwinds to poll and monitor cisco prime appliance.

is there any ways to do that? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Prime Infrastructure will reply to UDP/161 queries as long as you configure an SNMP community on it.

The information provided however, is very limited, but interface status/statistics should be available.

server/admin# conf t
server/admin(config)# snmp-server community test ro
server/admin(config)# end
server/admin#

ade # snmpwalk -v 2c -c test server
SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr.0 = STRING: Cisco Prime Infrastructure Appliance

SNMPv2-MIB::sysName.0 = STRING: server

IF-MIB::ifDescr.1 = STRING: lo
IF-MIB::ifDescr.2 = STRING: eth0
IF-MIB::ifDescr.3 = STRING: sit0

IF-MIB::ifOperStatus.1 = INTEGER: up(1)
IF-MIB::ifOperStatus.2 = INTEGER: up(1)
IF-MIB::ifOperStatus.3 = INTEGER: down(2)

etc.

Luis

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are some limited statistics that Cisco Prime Infrastructure exposes via SNMP. It primarily does so via generating traps vs by having a MIB of its own that can be queried.

Please refer to the Admin Guide section here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/2-2/administrator/guide/PIAdminBook/SNMPTraps.html

thanks, if i understand the guide correctly, it will only send the smnp alert if a certain threshold is breach and not a constant smnp update of its status?

In this case, solarwinds can't really see the historical data or generate a meaningful chart

Correct.

I just checked on my SolarWinds and PI. PI only supports sending traps (notification via udp/162).

I captured an attempt to add it as a managed server in SolarWinds. When you try to query it (on udp/161 to do an SNMP poll), it replies back that the port is not open.

Hi,

Prime Infrastructure will reply to UDP/161 queries as long as you configure an SNMP community on it.

The information provided however, is very limited, but interface status/statistics should be available.

server/admin# conf t
server/admin(config)# snmp-server community test ro
server/admin(config)# end
server/admin#

ade # snmpwalk -v 2c -c test server
SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr.0 = STRING: Cisco Prime Infrastructure Appliance

SNMPv2-MIB::sysName.0 = STRING: server

IF-MIB::ifDescr.1 = STRING: lo
IF-MIB::ifDescr.2 = STRING: eth0
IF-MIB::ifDescr.3 = STRING: sit0

IF-MIB::ifOperStatus.1 = INTEGER: up(1)
IF-MIB::ifOperStatus.2 = INTEGER: up(1)
IF-MIB::ifOperStatus.3 = INTEGER: down(2)

etc.

Luis

luijimen  ,

Brilliant - thanks for the tip. I learned something new about PI today.

unraveller  ,

I used Luis' tip to successfully add my Prime Infrastructure to SolarWinds NPM as a managed node. I'm not sure it exposes process status via SNMP but it does provide a bunch of statistics that can be polled.

Here's what SolarWinds found when adding the node and how it looks as a managed node: (open images in new tab to zoom)

Thanks it works

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card